Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Joel Shellman <jo...@ikestrel.com> on 2004/07/15 15:36:39 UTC

Wildcard search with my own analyzer

I wanted to support categories, and so I created my own analyzer so that:

Root Category||My Category||Some Other Things

Would be split up into three terms split by ||, and I wanted it to stay
case sensitive.

If I do a search for:

categories:"Root Category"

it works fine. But if I do a search for:

categories:"Root Cate*"

it doesn't find it.

What do I need to do so that wildcard searching will work on this? I am
using the same analyzer for indexing and searching (otherwise the first
search wouldn't work either).

Thank you,

Joel Shellman

Re: Wildcard search with my own analyzer

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 15, 2004, at 10:02 AM, Morus Walter wrote:

> Joel Shellman writes:
>>
>> What do I need to do so that wildcard searching will work on this? I
>> am
>> using the same analyzer for indexing and searching (otherwise the
>> first
>> search wouldn't work either).
>>
> Check what query is produced (query.toString(...)).
> I guess that query parser which seems to be what you are using does not
> support wildcards within `"'.

Right... when you use double-quotes, a PhraseQuery is implied, and it
has no support for wildcards (currently).

Check the AnalysisParalysis page on the wiki for some insight into how
to go about trouble-shooting things like this.  First is to eliminate
QueryParser and see if you can make a query through the API that
matches what you're after.

	Erik

Re: Wildcard search with my own analyzer

Posted by Morus Walter <mo...@tanto.de>.
Joel Shellman writes:

> What do I need to do so that wildcard searching will work on this? I am
> using the same analyzer for indexing and searching (otherwise the first
> search wouldn't work either).

Check what query is produced (query.toString(...)).
I guess that query parser which seems to be what you are using does not
support wildcards within `"'.

Morus