Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Ross <RR...@eentertainment.com> on 2004/03/08 22:49:19 UTC

deploying war to tomcat 5.0.19 via manager app

I'm sorry if this is a well known-issue. I've checked the archives and
didn't find anything like this description, so here goes.

I have a web app in a war file, with a META-INF/context.xml that looks like
this:

<Context path="/dept/post/vale" docBase="vale" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" crossContext="false">
            prefix="localhost_vale_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
</Context >

That is, I want the context to be /dept/post/vale. I don't really care where
the docBase is, but I have had major problems trying to make it nested, as
in "docBase=dept/post/vale"...it seems like Tomcat doesn't like webapps that
contain nested path names? Or am I wrong here?

Anyway, when I upload this war file, I observe two "strange" things. I will
occasionally get an error in the Tomcat logs complaining that the context
/dept/post/vale is already in use, even when I have made sure there are no
such web apps on the machine (ie. I've deleted the work directory, the conf
files, and the actual web app directory and war file.).  The actual error
is:

Mar 8, 2004 1:42:53 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deployDescriptors
SEVERE: Error deploying configuration descriptor vale.xml
java.io.IOException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Context path
/dept/post/vale is already in use
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeployer.j
ava:525)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:906)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:527
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1073)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:372)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSuppor
t.java:166)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.backgroundProcess(StandardHost.java:84
3)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processC
hildren(ContainerBase.java:1662)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processC
hildren(ContainerBase.java:1671)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(Cont
ainerBase.java:1651)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Then, the other "strange" thing I observe, is that there are TWO web apps
listed in the manager console after I have uploaded the single war, one
named "dept/post/vale" and one simply named "/vale."

My main question is, is this "normal" behavior? If so, why does it work this
way? Am I doing something wrong, or not understanding something about
deploying a war file via the manager app?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Ross
Senior Software Engineer
E! Networks