Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@apache.org> on 2021/10/29 11:44:34 UTC

Modified LGPL file in Apache Hive releases

Hi all,

Someone brought up in the Hive dev mailing list that the project contains a modified LGPL file in the repository [1]. The file is only necessary for the build but it turns out that it made its way to some official Hive releases.

Is this a problem? Are there corrective actions that need to be taken from the PMC?

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r13e3236aa72a070b3267ed95f7cb3b45d3c4783fd4ca35f5376b1a35%40%3Cdev.hive.apache.org%3E

Re: Modified LGPL file in Apache Hive releases

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback Mark.

I am not sure it is a must to remove the file from the repo (although it seems feasible). I think the important part is that it should not be present in the release sources/binaries.

My question concerns mostly the past releases, which are already out What happens with those? Is there something that needs to be done for them?

Best,
Stamatis

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 29/10/2021 12:44, Stamatis Zampetakis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Someone brought up in the Hive dev mailing list that the project contains a modified LGPL file in the repository [1]. The file is only necessary for the build but it turns out that it made its way to some official Hive releases.
>
> Is this a problem?

Yes.