Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Frank Peters <fp...@googlemail.com> on 2011/07/13 20:49:28 UTC

Online Help Planning

I have created a page on the user wiki for online help planning
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Help

I also edited the main user documentation planning page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Documentation+Plan
since I think it was missing some points.

There is a lot of work to be done on the app help if
we want to take this migration opportunity to also
modernize it and fix some of the more nastier issues,
which I think we should.

Comments welcome
Frank

Re: Online Help Planning

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Frank,

we should keep extensions and extension help in mind when we change the
format. Currently we are able to deploy help files within extension packages
and can integrate them dynamically in the existing help system.
It would be great to have an easy way to create or change help files (an
easy authoring workflow you have mentioned in the wiki) that can be used in
the office directly or can be deployed with extensions.

Juergen

Re: Online Help Planning

Posted by Frank Peters <fp...@googlemail.com>.
> good that this topic comes up...
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Frank Peters<fp...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> I have created a page on the user wiki for online help planning
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Help
>
> helpcontent2/helpers/REAME reads:
> ######
> 2006-05-15
>
> New location for helpers that are not used by the
> build process is documentation/www/online_help/helpers
> ######
>
> But those tools (I.e. the Macros, etc used in help-authoring, as
> described in the Help-Authoring.pdf) are nowhere to be found.

> Are those also covered by the Oracle grant?

Oracle might know.

> Where are they hosted now?

Mmmh. Interesting. It seems that they fell through the cracks on
migrating to Kenai. Very strange. If all fails I have a local copy
of those files.

However, I would very much favor to switch format and process
in the mid-term. Help authoring worked but had its peculiarities.

Frank

Re: Online Help Planning

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
Hi Frank,

good that this topic comes up...

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Frank Peters <fp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have created a page on the user wiki for online help planning
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Help

helpcontent2/helpers/REAME reads:
######
2006-05-15

New location for helpers that are not used by the
build process is documentation/www/online_help/helpers
######

But those tools (I.e. the Macros, etc used in help-authoring, as
described in the Help-Authoring.pdf) are nowhere to be found.

Are those also covered by the Oracle grant? Where are they hosted now?

ciao
Christian

Re: Online Help Planning

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
Hi, Frank,

On 7/13/2011 14:49, Frank Peters wrote:
> I have created a page on the user wiki for online help planning
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Help

Many thanks for that. I have posted some radical ideas, which you should
feel free to incorporate, reply to, or ignore.

> I also edited the main user documentation planning page
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Documentation+Plan
>
> since I think it was missing some points.
>
> There is a lot of work to be done on the app help if
> we want to take this migration opportunity to also
> modernize it and fix some of the more nastier issues,
> which I think we should.

+1

--
/tj/