Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Matthew Calhoun <ca...@mac.com> on 2004/04/29 07:38:21 UTC

OS X installation: almost there

Hello,

I'm trying to get a simple web service up and running using Axis 1.1
and Tomcat 4.1.30 under Mac OS 10.3.3. Tomcat seems to be running fine,
and I've followed the Axis installation instructions closely. When I go
to http://localhost:8080/axis/ I get the welcome page, and when I click
on the link to run happyaxis.jsp it tells me all of the core libraries
are present and one optional library (something to do with security) is
missing.

The real trouble starts when I try the next 2 links. Clicks on "View"
and "Call a local endpoint" both result in blank pages. The browser
says it's finished loading, but there's nothing there.

I've been trying to find the problem all evening, but so far without
success. I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of areas where things
could be going wrong. Should I be looking for problems in my
installation of Axis? In Tomcat? In my browser? If anyone has a
suggestion as to the most likely source of this problem, I would love
to hear it.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: OS X installation: almost there

Posted by Ashley Waite <Gu...@netscape.net>.
Try the Tomcat and Axis log files and see what they suggest, most likely
if something has gone wrong, they will indicate where to look.

--
 -
 - Ashley Waite

Re: OS X installation: almost there

Posted by Matthew Calhoun <ca...@mac.com>.
Hello,

I just wanted to give an update as to how I solved my problem, so that
it will be be in the list archives in case other OS X users run into
the same issue.

I had put the axis jars in /Library/Java/Extensions/ in order to make
them easily accessible to my client program, which is running on the
same machine as my web service. I think this must have caused me to
experience the endorsement problems that the installation page warns
about. Removing the jars from this directory and explicitly adding the
them to my classpath solved the problem.

I appreciate the feedback I got from the list. It was a big help in
tracking down this, and other, problems.

Matt

Posted by Brad Siegfreid <br...@iridiumdesign.com>.