Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com> on 2014/11/10 15:18:00 UTC

Increase in dropped mutations after major upgrade from 1.2.18 to 2.0.10

Hey,

We've seen a considerable increase in the number of dropped mutations after
a major upgrade from 1.2.18 to 2.0.10. I initially thought it was due to
the extra load incurred by upgradesstables, but the dropped mutations
continue even after all sstables are upgraded.

Additional info: Overall (read, write and range) latency improved with the
upgrade, which is great, but I don't understand why dropped mutations has
increased. I/O and CPU load is pretty much the same, number of completed
tasks is the only metric that increased together with dropped mutations.

I also noticed that the number of "all time blocked" FlushWriter operations
is about 5% of completed operations, don't know if this is related, but in
case it helps out...

Anyone has a clue on what could that be? Or what should we monitor to find
out? Any help or JIRA pointers would be kindly appreciated.

Cheers,

--
*Paulo Motta*

Chaordic | *Platform*
*www.chaordic.com.br <http://www.chaordic.com.br/>*
+55 48 3232.3200

Re: Increase in dropped mutations after major upgrade from 1.2.18 to 2.0.10

Posted by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com>.
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Duncan Sands <du...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paulo,
>
> On 10/11/14 15:18, Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> We've seen a considerable increase in the number of dropped mutations
>> after a
>> major upgrade from 1.2.18 to 2.0.10. I initially thought it was due to
>> the extra
>> load incurred by upgradesstables, but the dropped mutations continue even
>> after
>> all sstables are upgraded.
>>

> are the clocks on all your nodes synchronized with each other?
>
> Ciao, Duncan.

Yes, the servers are synchronized via NTP.

Cheers!

Posted by Duncan Sands <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paulo,