Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Heligon Sandra <sa...@nextream.fr> on 2002/12/09 10:16:51 UTC

Access/Manage client's file system

	Sorry not to have answered earlier but I did not work Friday.
	By 'local' I mean the client's machine not the server.
	First, the server offers templates to the client.
	Example of JSP:
		Name = Toto; Type = Data; Value = 12; etc....
		<<Save>> <<Load>> <<Apply>> <<Cancel>>
	If the user select the save button I would like to save data on the
	client's machine and the load button allows to load a file from the
client's machine.
	We could store instances of the template on the server but it is
specific
	to each client that's why we think that it  is better to allow the
client to
	access file system. For us server allows to store only common data.
	If you think it is better to save data on the server, thanks to
explain.
	Do you understand my question better ?
	If I understand your reply, to do that I must use Client plugin
technologies.
	Do you have an example ?
	Thanks a lot
	Sandra

RE: Access/Manage client's file system

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
But Andrew, this would involve the client putting information on the
server, then downloading it to the client.  That is just a tad inefficient,
wouldn't you say?

At 06:36 PM 12/9/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Well, if you can make do with something thats rather user unfriendly you can
>use the standard html stuff:
>For the files to be saved on the users machine you could provide a link -
>clicking the link will allow the user to download the file which they can
>save on their machine.
>For the server to read the file you provide a file upload field and the user
>browses through their filesystem for the file required. Of course its a very
>manual process which is a lot more messy than the interface you hope for in
>your example and in both cases you have no control over the file names used.
>It is up to the user to choose where to save it, and also up to the user to
>select which file to send back.

Micael

you

Re: Access/Manage client's file system

Posted by Frederico Schuh <fr...@yahoo.com.br>.
I don't think storing this on the client is a good
approach to doing it... if you choose to do this, then
you're breaking one of the Web's main advantages,
which is client independency (you will most likely
lock the user to a single browser that supports a
specific plugin, 95% chance that it will be IE).
You should really consider using the server to handle
the templates. Do you have many clients accessing this
application? Are the templates too big, and do you
have many of these files for each user? You could even
consider using a database to store templates, and read
them when the user needs their data. Then you could
save them in the user's session for optimal
performance. There are many ways of doing it, but it
all depends on how you are going to use the files.

=====

Re: Access/Manage client's file system

Posted by Mark <ma...@libero.it>.
Micael who responded to this message says he's working on something similar.
To be honest I don't know any nice, cross browser way of doing this.

I'd have thought the money you save on disk space would swallowed up by
extra development time.

However if I had to do this i'd be reading stuff about soap and/or similar
stuff.

The filesystem couild be controled by and application that you distribute to
recienve soap envelopes and run various file system operations. I believe
flash is capable of this (i'd be interested to know).

Server sends soap envelope to flash movie > flash unwraps envelope and runs
commands based on contents.

The big quest for me remains can you do file system stuff from a flash
movie? My concern would be how many work arounds you'd have to do for flash
because those crazy macromedia kids may have been on the crack again. A java
applet could also be used, but i believe these days more people have flash
than java plugins.

Also do the directories remain on the local machine after the operations? Or
are they created and removed each time the user wants to do his/her stuff? T

Things i'd do in your shoes.. Make or find a flash movie that reads and
writes soap, make or find a flash movie that performs file system
operations. Get my hands on the jakarta soap tags that should help you work
out what you want you java classes to do.

Cheers mark

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
If nothing else, you could have a web app that zips up the files and sends
them as one.  The other thing is that you could have a refresh on the
response (request) that will activate when a file download finishes,
starting the next one until you are done.  But, zip is best, I think.  Why
use the web for this?

Micael

At 06:05 PM 12/9/2002 +0530, you wrote:
>a little off the topic..
>
>but is it possible to download multiple files using a single response from
>the server.
>Something like multiple upload to the server .. just that this case .. i
>want the client (browser/client application) to DOWNLOAD multiple file in a
>SINGLE response from the server..
>
>am i clear.. enough??
>
>subhro.

Micael