Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Kristof Van Cleemput <kv...@schaubroeck.be> on 2005/11/10 12:50:12 UTC

Re: Bugs in rc2 already fixed for rc3?]

I use toque 3.2 RC2

INFORMIX TEMPLATES
I want to include (attachment) the templates.I tried a zip file but that
failed (

ZIP attachments are not accepted here

). Should I mail it to the developer list or should I use an other
extension?

I used them to extract a schema and data from an existing informix database.
You can include them in the templates. Doesn't it state that torque
supports Informix?
I didn't receive any errrors on that.
Best way to be sure is to write a test to test every possible type for
import and export and for every supported database (fi with dbunit and
junit).
If you have one for a specific database you can use it for the others as
a template.

Can't you get a free copy for development or testing purposes (even an
old version could do the trick)?

If you don't add it nobody will use it so no bugs or errors can be found
and solved (you have to start somewhere).
I know if you can't test it for yourself it's a bit creepy ;-)

BUG (MORE A USER FRIENDLY ISSUE THEN A BUG)
Occurs when executing maven torque:datasql
It's hard to find the source of the error. I try to copy a lot of tables
and I guess it has something to do with a datatype.
The problem is that the logging only gives me these errors :

2005-11-08 08:53:54,860 - Method parse threw exception for reference
$generator in template sql/load/mysql/row.vm at  [16,70]
2005-11-08 08:53:54,860 - Method parse threw exception for reference
$generator in template sql/load/Control.vm at  [17,1]

Isn't it possible to give the table, column and field value that is causing the error?
Or a line with logging before start filling up a table (This would point somebody like me to the table that is causing the problem)

For now the only solution I can think of is importing every table seperatly until I find the one that is causing the error.
Unless you expect me to count the processed rows

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS (I'm new to torque so maybe they are missing some stuff).
Extra maven goals =>
For setting-up(importing) a database including data =>
torque:import (consists of
    <attainGoal name="torque:sql"/>
    <attainGoal name="torque:datadtd"/>
    <attainGoal name="torque:datasql"/>
    <attainGoal name="torque:create-db"/>
    <attainGoal name="torque:insert-sql"/>)
For exporting a database including data =>
torque:export (consists of
    <attainGoal name="torque:jdbc"/>
    <attainGoal name="torque:datadump"/>
)

Thomas Fischer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Kristof Van Cleemput <kv...@schaubroeck.be> schrieb am 08.11.2005 11:33:47:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm new to torque and found the following things when trying to get it
>>working (copy an informix db to a mysql db)
>>I found a few bugs and I'm wondering if these will be fixed in rc3.
>>
>>* The informix files are missing in the templates jar. (I found them on
>>the mailinglist somewhere so I gues this one is fixed?)
>>

>As far as I know, no informix-specific templates exist in svn now.
>Unfortunately, I do not have an informix database ready to test the ones
>from the mailing list. In my opinion, someone should test them before they
>can be included in Torque. Then we also need permission of the author of
>the templates to include them.
>I see that informix is now owned by IBM. Just a wild guess: Have you tried
>whether the db2 templates work for informix ?
>

>>* There seems to be a bug with $generator in some files =>
>>2005-11-08 08:53:54,860 - Method parse threw exception for reference
>>$generator in template sql/load/mysql/row.vm at  [16,70]
>>2005-11-08 08:53:54,860 - Method parse threw exception for reference
>>$generator in template sql/load/Control.vm at  [17,1]
>>

>Nothing is known of a bug in the templates until now. Can you provide more
>details (e.g. which task you are running, a schema.xml where the bug
>appears if appliccable etc.) ?
>
>      Thomas

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Kristof Van Cleemput

Schaubroeck Weddecentrale Informatica
Schaubroeck nv, Steenweg Deinze 154, 9810 Nazareth
tel: 09/389.05.86 mailto:kvc@schaubroeck.be

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
Kristof,

I regret that it does not work out like this.

As I already wrote, for such a large contribution, we do need the
permission of the original author AND a CLA.

What you can do is to re-write the templates yourself and send in a CLA.
Then you can use the test project to see if your templates are working,
and then we can include them in the Torque distribution.

Sorry for the bureaucracy, but this are the rules set by the ASF.

    Thomas

Posted by Kristof Van Cleemput <kv...@schaubroeck.be>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Kristof Van Cleemput <kv...@schaubroeck.be> schrieb am 10.11.2005 12:50:12:

> I use toque 3.2 RC2
>
> INFORMIX TEMPLATES
> I want to include (attachment) the templates.I tried a zip file but that
> failed (
>
> ZIP attachments are not accepted here
>
> ). Should I mail it to the developer list or should I use an other
> extension?

You can either create an issue in the issue tracker (see the Torque
Homepage for a link) or email them to me directly.
As this is a substantial addition, we need to know who wrote the templates
originally, and the permission of this person to include the templates in
Torque, and a CLA of this person (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas)

> I used them to extract a schema and data from an existing informix
database.
> You can include them in the templates. Doesn't it state that torque
> supports Informix?

Yes, tere is an adapter class, but I do not kmnow anything about templates.

> I didn't receive any errrors on that.
> Best way to be sure is to write a test to test every possible type for
> import and export and for every supported database (fi with dbunit and
> junit).

We know that there are some data types which do not work (e.g.Blobs.)
Testing it would be pointless since it fails for sure.

> Can't you get a free copy for development or testing purposes (even an
> old version could do the trick)?

I did not try. Besides, installing additional databases is not top of the
list of my priorities at the moment.

> If you don't add it nobody will use it so no bugs or errors can be found
> and solved (you have to start somewhere).
> I know if you can't test it for yourself it's a bit creepy ;-)

Well, I do not need to test it myself. There's the Torque test project (see
http://db.apache.org/torque/tests.html), if someone runs that successfully
against the database in question and sends in the configuration files this
is fine.

> BUG (MORE A USER FRIENDLY ISSUE THEN A BUG)
> Occurs when executing maven torque:datasql
> It's hard to find the source of the error. I try to copy a lot of tables
> and I guess it has something to do with a datatype.
> The problem is that the logging only gives me these errors :
>
> 2005-11-08 08:53:54,860 - Method parse threw exception for reference
> $generator in template sql/load/mysql/row.vm at  [16,70]
> 2005-11-08 08:53:54,860 - Method parse threw exception for reference
> $generator in template sql/load/Control.vm at  [17,1]
>
> Isn't it possible to give the table, column and field value that is
> causing the error?
> Or a line with logging before start filling up a table (This would
> point somebody like me to the table that is causing the problem)
>
> For now the only solution I can think of is importing every table
> seperatly until I find the one that is causing the error.
> Unless you expect me to count the processed rows

Well, it is very difficult to look for a bug if one cannot reproduce it. It
depends on you, if you want it fixed I'm afraid this will mean that you
have to provide some more information what goes wrong. To fond out the name
of the table where this happens, maybe you can turn on additional log
messages which log every column that is processed. From a quick glance ath
the JDBCTransformTask code, you probably just have to set the log level to
debug to to it.

> OTHER IMPROVEMENTS (I'm new to torque so maybe they are missing some
stuff).
> Extra maven goals =>
> For setting-up(importing) a database including data =>
> torque:import (consists of
>     <attainGoal name="torque:sql"/>
>     <attainGoal name="torque:datadtd"/>
>     <attainGoal name="torque:datasql"/>
>     <attainGoal name="torque:create-db"/>
>     <attainGoal name="torque:insert-sql"/>)
> For exporting a database including data =>
> torque:export (consists of
>     <attainGoal name="torque:jdbc"/>
>     <attainGoal name="torque:datadump"/>
> )

Will forward this point to the dev list. I am indifferent about it.

   Thomas