Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Michaelikus <lo...@ya.ru> on 2018/06/26 08:11:37 UTC

Strange cache size

Hi dear dr. Allcome ;)

I have an table in MSSQL which size is 4GB
I've transfer it to cache and it's size takes more tan 80GB(5 nodes per 22GB
offheap each)
Can you advise me how i can control size of caches for monitoring?

Regards,
Michael.

Re: Strange cache size

Posted by Michaelikus <lo...@ya.ru>.
2Denis:

About measuring.
I'm use cluser only for this type of cache. And nothing more. So it scares
because it takes too much memory.

I have read already docs about memory metrics and i'm affraid about this
warning:

Re: Strange cache size

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Take a look at the following page:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/memory-metrics
To monitor off-heap memory usage, you can use
*DataRegionMetrics#physicalMemorySize* metric.
If you multiply the result by the *DataRegionMetrics#pagesFillFactor *metric,
you will get an approximation of how much data you actually have in memory.

The increase in size, that you described, doesn't sound OK. How did you
measure the occupied space?
What is the replication factor of your cache?

Denis

Re: Strange cache size

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

I still don't get, how you measured the occupied space and how many backups
you have.
Could you clarify?

Denis

Re: Strange cache size

Re: Strange cache size

Posted by Mikael <mi...@telia.com>.
Hi!

The overhead for an entry in Ignite is much bigger than an SQL server
record, you have something like 200 byte overhead for each entry and the
binary format used in an SQL server is more compact compared to the
binary storage format used in Ignite, so if your records are small the
size you have might be correct.

Are you keeping all of the data in ram at the same time ? wouldn't it be
better to keep it in the SQL server and cache a smaller set of records
in Ignite ?

Are you copying the data into Ignite as a one time process or are you
using a CacheStoreAdapter ?

The section about durable memory / eviction policy in the documentation
explains how to control the amount of ram that is used.

Mikael