Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/12/09 06:52:15 UTC

Reserved words

I always see us make commits for fixing reserved words in databases.

Why not come up with a .properties file of reserved words for each database
and then as part of the initial load of the .xml file, simply query that
file and see if one of the column/table names conflicts with the database of
reserved words...we can have a property which turns this feature on or off
(for example, some people might not that db2 conflicts with oracle or
something like that...)

-jon

Re: Reserved words

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> writes:

>Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>>I always see us make commits for fixing reserved words in databases.
>>
>>Why not come up with a .properties file of reserved words for each database
>>and then as part of the initial load of the .xml file, simply query that
>>file and see if one of the column/table names conflicts with the database of
>>reserved words...we can have a property which turns this feature on or off
>>(for example, some people might not that db2 conflicts with oracle or
>>something like that...)
>>
>>-jon
>>
>how will this work if i want to make sure my app runs with different
>databases?? (e.g. jetspeed)

As I understood jon, this list would be as database specific as e.g. the
SQL dialect understood be the engine. So the wordlist would be tied to
the adapter for the database.

I'm definitely +1 on this. We might even have some sort of closure (set of
all words forbidden in all databases, which will help your problem).

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: Reserved words

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/9 2:47 AM, "Martin Poeschl" <mp...@marmot.at> wrote:

> if i generate for mysql, will the reserved words for all databases be
> blocked or only for mysql??
> i would prefere for all databases
>
> martin

all

-jon

Re: Reserved words

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>on 2002/12/9 1:46 AM, "Martin Poeschl" <mp...@marmot.at> wrote:
>

>>Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
>>

>>>I always see us make commits for fixing reserved words in databases.
>>>
>>>Why not come up with a .properties file of reserved words for each database
>>>and then as part of the initial load of the .xml file, simply query that
>>>file and see if one of the column/table names conflicts with the database of
>>>reserved words...we can have a property which turns this feature on or off
>>>(for example, some people might not that db2 conflicts with oracle or
>>>something like that...)
>>>
>>>-jon
>>>

>>how will this work if i want to make sure my app runs with different
>>databases?? (e.g. jetspeed)
>>
>>martin
>>

>The point being that this will ALLOW you to make sure that your application
>runs with different databases. Did you read my email wrong or am I reading
>yours wrong? =)
>
>-jon

let's try with an example:

Re: Reserved words

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/9 1:46 AM, "Martin Poeschl" <mp...@marmot.at> wrote:

> Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
>
>> I always see us make commits for fixing reserved words in databases.
>>
>> Why not come up with a .properties file of reserved words for each database
>> and then as part of the initial load of the .xml file, simply query that
>> file and see if one of the column/table names conflicts with the database of
>> reserved words...we can have a property which turns this feature on or off
>> (for example, some people might not that db2 conflicts with oracle or
>> something like that...)
>>
>> -jon
>>
> how will this work if i want to make sure my app runs with different
> databases?? (e.g. jetspeed)
>
> martin

The point being that this will ALLOW you to make sure that your application
runs with different databases. Did you read my email wrong or am I reading
yours wrong? =)

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco

Re: Reserved words

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.