Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pavel Brun <pa...@sympatico.ca> on 2002/02/13 22:53:29 UTC

JSP Tag Life Cycle

Hello all,

I was just looking at the JSP Tag Life Cylcle diagram and had the following
question.
The "doEndTag" flows into a decision block that states "use t yet another
time".

In what case is the tag re-evaluated (i.e., the decision block returning
yes)? I have
a tag that is somehow being invoked twice when I want it to be invoked once.

My "doEndTag" does return EVAL_PAGE and I wanted it to return that because I
want the
rest of the JSP page to be evaluated.

Any auggestions or answers would be helpful

Thanks

Paul

Re: "Standard" filter implementations

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:45:29 +0100
> From: Attila Szegedi <sz...@freemail.hu>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: "Standard" filter implementations
>
> People,
>
> does anyone know if there are "standard" (open source, of course)
> implementations of a caching filter (one that would perform content-caching
> on the server side) and a compression filter (one that would at least
> implement gzip and deflate transfer encodings  - since these algorithms are
> readily available in Java). These filters have very common usage, and I'd be
> surprised if no one actually took a stab at them already.

There is a just-barely-started effort within the Jakarta Commons project
to create a package of nice, reusable, Filters.  Caching is one of the use
cases (and it will need more than one implementation, because different
applications will have different requirements), but no code has been
submitted yet.

This will be discussed on the COMMONS-DEV mailing list -- see
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html> for subscription information.

For compression, there's an output filter that does this for you included
in the example app of Tomcat 4.  You can rip it out and use it in your own
applications as well.  (Yes, this is going to be contributed to the
Commons package once it's up and running :-).

> --
> Attila Szegedi
> home: http://www.szegedi.org

Craig McClanahan

"Standard" filter implementations

RE: JSP Tag Life Cycle

Posted by Pavel Brun <pa...@sympatico.ca>.
I was looking at the book again and it does not have anything to do with the
extended support for the IterationTag or the new constants used in the
doAfterBody()
method.

After "doEndTag" is done, my tag appears to run again from the "doStartTag"
method
and onward. IT appears like the entire tag is evaluated again.

thanks

Paul

yes...sorry...that is what I was referring too. The JSL TagLib lifecycle
diagrams.

If anybody has any ideas, I like to hear them.

Thanks

Paul

Re: JSP Tag Life Cycle

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

RE: JSP Tag Life Cycle

Posted by Pavel Brun <pa...@sympatico.ca>.
it is in my book called: JSP Tag Libraries produced by Manning, written by
Gal Shachor, Adam Chace,
and Magnus Rydin page 98.

I will see if I can get a scan of the image and provide it for the group.

Thanks

Paul

> I was just looking at the JSP Tag Life Cylcle diagram and had the
following
> question.
> The "doEndTag" flows into a decision block that states "use t yet another
> time".
>
> In what case is the tag re-evaluated (i.e., the decision block returning
> yes)? I have
> a tag that is somehow being invoked twice when I want it to be invoked
once.

> My "doEndTag" does return EVAL_PAGE and I wanted it to return that because
> want the
> rest of the JSP page to be evaluated.
>
> Any auggestions or answers would be helpful
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Which specific diagram (in which document) are you looking at?  I don't
see anything like this on the lifecycle diagrams in the JSP 1.2 spec.

Craig

Re: JSP Tag Life Cycle

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.