Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joe Lopilato <jo...@symantec.com> on 2007/09/06 22:34:50 UTC

unable to change tomcat 5.5.20 session manager to PersistentManager

Hi All:

I am using tomcat version 5.5.20 and am having problems configuring a
persistent session manager.

I added the following to the <context> element in the context.xml file
located in the tomcat_home/conf directory:

<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager"
maxInactiveInterval="60" processExpiresFrequency="1" >
	<Store className="org.apache.catalina.session.FileStore" />
</Manager>

In order to test whether the above manager configuration changes were
successful, I made the following calls from within my servlet:

  System.out.println( "session expir duration: " +
session.getMaxInactiveInterval() );
  System.out.println( "session :" + session.getClass());

and got the following results which indicate the above manager
configuration was ignored:
	session expir duration: 1800
	session :class org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade

Based on output to the IDE console window, it is clear that context.xml
is being properly parsed. I also noticed that I am able to successfully
set the session-timeout from the web.xml file.

Can anyone tell me whether I have stumbled upon a bug or if I am missing
a configuration step?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

RE: unable to change tomcat 5.5.20 session manager to PersistentManager

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Joe Lopilato [mailto:joe_lopilato@symantec.com]
> Subject: RE: unable to change tomcat 5.5.20 session manager
> to PersistentManager
>
> For instance, if I configure the standard manager through
> context.xml, I again note the configuration (specifically,
> the session timeout) is ignored:
>
>  <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager"
> maxInactiveInterval="65" />

Based on looking at the Tomcat code, it appears that this particular
Manager attribute has no effect.  The maxInactiveInterval setting is
overridden by the default sessionTimeout value in StandardContext, which
is 30 minutes, and also, if present, by the <session-timeout> value in
either the global or the app-specific web.xml file.  Looks like you have
to change the timeout value in web.xml, not the nested <Manager>
element.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: unable to change tomcat 5.5.20 session manager to PersistentManager

Posted by Joe Lopilato <jo...@symantec.com>.
Yes Chuck. I did note that as I have consulted the apache docs and
numerous other sources prior to resorting this list.
However, the issue is broader than PersistentManager and appears related
to all manager configurations made via the context.xml file.

For instance, if I configure the standard manager through context.xml, I
again note the configuration (specifically, the session timeout) is
ignored:

 <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager"
maxInactiveInterval="65" />

I get the following result from within my servlet:

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.