Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/08 23:52:13 UTC

Regular Skype conf. calls?

There's been a few off-list conversations (between Nour, Siegfried and
myself, at least) about having regular virtual get togethers on Skype.
Now that Skype [1] has group video conferencing, I think this would be a
good way to help the community develop.

Questions:
1. do we think it'd be good idea?  and if so...
2. how often ought we to do this?
3. what time of the day ought we to have the call?

Obviously we couldn't realistically expect everyone to attend every
call, but we could perhaps have a system whereby someone volunteers to
be the host, ie they will definitely be on the call, and anyone else is
optional (perhaps a wiki sign-on sheet to indicate attendance).

Thoughts?  Have any of the mentors done this on other projects, and to
what success/lack of?

Dan

[1] http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/features/allfeatures/group-video-calls/

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Alexander Krasnukhin <th...@gmail.com>.
My 5 cent. Video conference isn't available for Linux too.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>wrote:

> Good idea but seems it's not yet available for Mac which would be a
> limitation for some of us. Well worth keeping an eye on though. Meanwhile
> perhaps a regular /voice/ conf call?
>
> Mike Burton
>

> On 8 Nov 2010, at 22:52, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There's been a few off-list conversations (between Nour, Siegfried and
> myself, at least) about having regular virtual get togethers on Skype.  Now
> that Skype [1] has group video conferencing, I think this would be a good
> way to help the community develop.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. do we think it'd be good idea?  and if so...
> > 2. how often ought we to do this?
> > 3. what time of the day ought we to have the call?
> >
> > Obviously we couldn't realistically expect everyone to attend every call,
> but we could perhaps have a system whereby someone volunteers to be the
> host, ie they will definitely be on the call, and anyone else is optional
> (perhaps a wiki sign-on sheet to indicate attendance).
> >
> > Thoughts?  Have any of the mentors done this on other projects, and to
> what success/lack of?
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > [1]
> http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/features/allfeatures/group-video-calls/

Alexander

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi all...

   I am running Linux too so I suggest to start doing voice calls only
at least for the time being. For scheduling we can use either Doodle
or Google Calendars. For the day(s) of the calls, I suggest to have it
every Saturday cause it is the common weekend day for all of us. For
now lets postpone this point till we are OK with our next scheduled
report, after that I think it is better to make a vote so we know what
is best for the majority of us.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
yes sure!

I'd also like to see/hear you guys so we can have a neat chat :)

But we need to make sure that decisions and all the rational behind those do find their way to the mailing list.

Isn't there any other open video chat platform available?
I could also host a server somewhere ...

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mark...

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Vangjel Stavro <va...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea and would like to give it a try.

Vango

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.
I like the idea of talking at same time.  There is something that you
get from oral conversations that you don't get from typing.  I find
myself reaching for the phone when I want to get to the  heart of a
complicate matter quickly, and writing takes too long because your
subject relies not just on what you know but what others know as well.

Let's use both, but use them each where appropriate.

Either way seeing things can be important.  I've just been using VNC to
create and share a virtual workspace (rather than my whole desktop)
where everybody can grab the mouse and point at things.  VNC is
available on all platforms, although the server  needs to support
geometry settings to allow a virtual screen to be set up.

Rob

PS I have a Jabber account, and on that I can also set up voice and
video calls, although I'm not sure that it works with more than two.

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Kevin Meyer <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
My 2c:

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
+1

To keep noise low we could use Doodle (http://www.doodle.com/) for date/time

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: Regular Skype conf. calls?

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
I've just realized that Skype video group calling isn't a freebie, the
website just talks of trial period of 28 days.  I reckon it's worth
trying though, and assess afterwards.  I guess we can decide as a
community if it's worth the investment once we've tried it out a couple
of times.

@Mark... re: traceability; we could make it the responsibility of the
"host" to also post a summary of the conversation to isis-dev
@Mike ... seems like Mac support is coming in the next beta
@Alexander ... erm, no news on Linux support.  I guess it'll be voice
only for that platform.

Dan