Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bing Zhang <BZ...@7thonline.com> on 2003/10/04 01:38:11 UTC

How to re-config/customize tomcat 4's loggers

Hi all:
We recently installed Tomcat 4.1.24, but we want to change The Logger
Component configuration, the reason is that we want all the catalina log or
access log to use one file per purpose,  but the default file logger from
Catalina, org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger, will use a new file every
day.
Is there anyway we can configure tomcat to use some other off the shelf
logger class, so that it would only use one file per purpose.   Thanks a
lot.
Bing

Objects in session lost when using mutiple servers

Posted by Wilian Zurita <wz...@eluniversal.com>.
I'm having the following problem:

Quick explanation: I'm losing objects stored in session.

Long explanation (inside parenthesis, an explanation for whomever know
struts):
I have a servlet (a struts action, really) that stores an object (an
ActionForm) in session, then redirects to a JSP page. The page display
perfectly the information of the object, then I submit a form in that
page that contains information to be changed in the object (submit the
ActionForm), the object is further processed (in another action) and
then again redirected to the same JSP page THEN the page does not
displays the information correctly, because the object (the form) is not
in the session, somehow.

Now, this happens only when I'm running 2 tomcat servers at the same
time: I have a tomcat running in the x address with just one
application, and another tomcat running in the y address with other
(completely different) set of applications. I already check all the
ports, (for the connectors and the server) the directories (in the
catalina.sh script), and they are all different for each server.

I'm thinking the problem HAVE to be when the server access the disk (the
servers are on different virtual machines!!!), but I'm really out of ideas.

Thank you in advance for your ideas,

Wilian Z.
P.S. : English is a second language for me, so, excuse my mistakes if
any, and if something is not clear, I'll be glad to further explain it
to anyone....thank you again!!!!!!

Re: How to re-config/customize tomcat 4's loggers

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
The access logs have a property called rotatable to prevent nightly log
rotation. (I think in 4.1.27) You can also set the date format too if desired.

As for the FileLoggers you are sol :( without extending FileLogger

-Tim