Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/29 10:01:14 UTC

New privacy policy on the Stanbol website - Google Analytics activated

Hi,

I have resolved [1] and published the Google Analytics support for our website.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-629

Please note, that from now on a new privacy policy [2] got activated
by this change.

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/privacy-policy.html

which says

"Last Updated: May 25, 2012

Information about your use of this website is collected using server
access logs and a tracking cookie. The collected information consists
of the following:

- The IP address from which you access the website;
- The type of browser and operating system you use to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit; and
- The addresses of pages from where you followed a link to our site.

Part of this information is gathered using a tracking cookie set by
the Google Analytics service and handled by Google as described in
their privacy policy. See your browser documentation for instructions
on how to disable the cookie if you prefer not to share this data with
Google.

We use the gathered information to help us make our site more useful
to visitors and to better understand how and when our site is used. We
do not track or collect personally identifiable information or
associate gathered data with any personally identifying information
from other sources.

By using this website, you consent to the collection of this data in
the manner and for the purpose described above.

If we make changes to our privacy policy, we will send a notification
to our stanbol-dev@incubator.apache.org mailing list along with
updating the "Last Updated" date at the top of this page."

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: New privacy policy on the Stanbol website - Google Analytics activated

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Peter,

2012/5/30 Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>:
> However, it would be nice if a technical organisation such as Apache
> could outline the more advanced ways of avoiding Google Analytics
> completely, as the cookie still requires communication between the
> user agent and Google and it is just their word that they will try
> hard not to record the personal information in the query in any of
> their databases or logs.

I totally agree. See this infra issue:

Maybe there is a bigger group of people who would like to see this
happen and like to work on a solution. I did not search for related
discussions on the infra list, yet. Perhaps the time is right to give
it a new try as many people seem to be interested in a solution.

Best,
 - Fabian

Re: New privacy policy on the Stanbol website - Google Analytics activated

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fabian,

It is not strange that people want to use Google Analytics, as there
don't seem to be any easy to use open source products available yet
that work in the same way.

However, it would be nice if a technical organisation such as Apache
could outline the more advanced ways of avoiding Google Analytics
completely, as the cookie still requires communication between the
user agent and Google and it is just their word that they will try
hard not to record the personal information in the query in any of
their databases or logs.

Cheers,

Peter