Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de> on 2000/06/15 00:49:57 UTC

Re: Does LDAP sample work through proxy?

markus.spiekermann@web.de writes:

> I got the following error message when accessing the ldap-sample
>
> javax.naming.CommunicationException: ldap.weber.edu:389.  Root exception
> is java.net.UnknownHostException: ldap.weber.edu

> The Server (Redhat 6.1) is not directly connected to the internet but
> has access via a proxy (windows NT 40 with webwasher-software over isdn)
> so "normal" webpages can be accessed...
>
> Is the proxy really the problem or is there an other mistake?

Probably you've got a net access that only allows HTTP via proxy and
nothing else. Therefore your Linux box cannot resolve the host name
via DNS. And even if it could resolve the host name, with a
HTTP-proxy-only connection to the net you cannot have non-HTTP
connections such as LDAP.

Uli