Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Vikas Phonsa <VP...@suz.com> on 2004/12/17 03:02:42 UTC

http sessions with non browser clients.

Hi Everybody,

I have learned that in order to maintain sessions in web services that
use Apache Axis some effort (configuration) is required on the client
side.

If the client is a browser, then it can send the session cookie back to
the server on itself. But web services clients could be stand alone java
programs and you can't guarantee that the clients would send the cookie
back to you. You can't force the client developers to follow the steps
to maintain the session. In that case each web service request could end
up creating a new session and this would not be desirable at all.

I can turn the session management off on server side (I'll be using web
sphere), but then it would turn it off for every client, whereas I do
want to maintain sessions for clients who would be able to send the
session cookie back. And on the other side I don't want each request to
keep on creating new sessions when session is not returned.

Any ideas about how to approach this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Vikas

Re: http sessions with non browser clients.

Posted by sandeep arshanapally <ar...@gmail.com>.
Either use http sessions or SOAP sessions. In either case there has to
be some code on the client side to do this...But if you worried about
non-browser clients then go with the SOAP sessions and manage sessions
yourself on the server-side.