Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Kevin Boyle <ke...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/04/25 18:02:27 UTC

Fw: Re: [osgi-dev] Invalid version in bundle org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper=: 3.5.3-beta

 Hello,I'm attempting to use the curator-recipes version 4.0.1 in an OSGi application.   The curator version is dependent on zookeeper 3.5.3-beta but the version format isn't compatible with OSGI, see the reply from the osgi developers forum below, is it possible to replace the "-beta" with ".beta" going forward?
The problem with using an older version is that the last few years include a "-alpha" or "-beta" in the dependent zookeeper version.
Any suggestions on how to avoid this would be appreciated.ThanksK

  <dependency>

      <groupId>org.apache.curator</groupId>

      <artifactId>curator-recipes</artifactId>

      <version>4.0.1</version>

 </dependency>

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Tim Ward <ti...@paremus.com>To: Kevin Boyle <ke...@yahoo.com>; OSGi Developer Mail List <os...@mail.osgi.org>Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 1:42:49 PM EDTSubject: Re: [osgi-dev] Invalid version in bundle org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper=: 3.5.3-beta
 Hi Kevin,
OSGi version syntax is strictly defined with four sections separated by dots. The first three sections are integers greater than or equal to zero, and the final section (the qualifier) is a String.
In this case the org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper “bundle” has a version of 3.5.3-beta, which is not OSGi compatible (3.5.3.beta would be). This is because the actual artifact you’re using is malformed - the developers have added a Bundle-Version to the artifact which isn’t a valid version. There is no way that this has ever been run or tested in OSGi. This is a bug in their code and should be raised as such.
You should be fine using an older version with a legal version number, for example 3.4.9.
I hope this helps,
Tim

On 25 Apr 2018, at 18:29, Kevin Boyle via osgi-dev <os...@mail.osgi.org> wrote:
I'm new to OSGI and after following the enroute quick start tutorial I added one class and one library to the pom.xml included here.   The curator-recipes indirectly depends on zookeeper 3.5.3-beta ( curator-recipes depends on curator-test which depends on zookeeper 3.5.3 ).  Please help me resolve the version conflict and understand why zookeeper 3.5.3-beta is a problem for the quickstart.
Please help as I'm stuck
ThanksK

package org.osgi.enroute.examples.quickstart.rest;
import org.apache.curator.framework.CuratorFramework;import org.apache.curator.framework.CuratorFrameworkFactory;import org.apache.curator.retry.ExponentialBackoffRetry;
public class StartCurator {  public static void main ( String [] args )  { StartCurator s = new StartCurator(); s.start_curator(); }
 public void start_curator () {      String zookeeper_connection_string = "localhost:2181";        CuratorFramework    client = CuratorFrameworkFactory.newClient(zookeeper_connection_string, new ExponentialBackoffRetry(1000, 3));        System.out.println ("Opening curator connection to zookeeper");        client.start();        client.close();        System.out.println ("Closing curator connection to zookeeper"); }
}
<dependency>

      <groupId>org.apache.curator</groupId>

      <artifactId>curator-recipes</artifactId>

      <version>4.0.1</version>

  </dependency>

mvn install fails with the following error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal biz.aQute.bnd:bnd-indexer-maven-plugin:4.0.0-SNAPSHOT:index (index) on project app: Invalid version in bundle org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper=: 3.5.3-beta -> [Help 1]

[ERROR]

[ERROR]

[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:

[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException

[ERROR]

[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command

[ERROR]   mvn <goals> -rf :app

Kevins-MBP:quickstart kevintboyle$

Re: Fw: Re: [osgi-dev] Invalid version in bundle org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper=: 3.5.3-beta

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin. Is it the same issue as this?

If so perhaps you could take on that JIRA and help drive a solution. I
think the biggest issue is that no-one on our end has sufficient experience
on OSGI to verify a fix.

Regards,

Patrick

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:02 AM, Kevin Boyle <kevintboyle@yahoo.com.invalid