Posted to user@spark.apache.org by sh...@tsmc.com on 2015/07/07 09:58:12 UTC

SparkSQL OOM issue

Dear all,

We've tried to use sparkSql to do some insert from A table to B table
action where using the exact same SQL script,
hive is able to finish it but Spark 1.3.1 would always end with OOM issue;
we tried several configuration including:

--executor-cores 2
--num-executors 300
--executor-memory 7g
sconf.set("spark.storage.memoryFraction", "0")

but none of them can change the result of error:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
is there any other configuration we can make? Thanks!
                                                         TSMC PROPERTY
 for the sole use of its
 other than the intended
 please notify the sender by
 immediately. Thank you.

Re: SparkSQL OOM issue

Posted by sh...@tsmc.com.
Hi Shawn,

Thank alot that's actually the last parameter we overlooked!!
I'm able to run the same sql on spark now if I set the spark.driver.memoory
larger,
thanks again!!

--
Best Regards,
Felicia Shann

|------------------------------------->
|            Xiaoyu Ma                |
|            <hzmaxiaoyu@corp.netease.|
|            com>                     |
|                                     |
|                                     |
|                                     |
|            2015/07/07 下午 04:03    |
|------------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                To|
  |        shshann@tsmc.com                                                                                                                          |
  |                                                                                                                                                cc|
  |        user@spark.apache.org, mike_shen@tsmc.com, linchzs@tsmc.com                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                                                           Subject|
  |        Re: SparkSQL OOM issue                                                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |

Where did OOM happened?
In Driver or executor?
Sometimes SparkSQL Driver OOM on tables with large number partitions.
If so, you might want to increase it in spark-defaults.conf
spark.driver.memory

Shawn

> On Jul 7, 2015, at 3:58 PM, shshann@tsmc.com wrote:
>

> Dear all,
>
> We've tried to use sparkSql to do some insert from A table to B table
> action where using the exact same SQL script,
> hive is able to finish it but Spark 1.3.1 would always end with OOM
issue;
> we tried several configuration including:
>
> --executor-cores 2
> --num-executors 300
> --executor-memory 7g
> sconf.set("spark.storage.memoryFraction", "0")
>
> but none of them can change the result of error:
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
> is there any other configuration we can make? Thanks!

>                                                         TSMC PROPERTY

> This email communication (and any attachments) is proprietary information

> for the sole use of its

> intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution by
anyone
> other than the intended

> recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,

> please notify the sender by

> replying to this email, and then delete this email and any copies of it

> immediately. Thank you.

                                                         TSMC PROPERTY
 for the sole use of its
 other than the intended