Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jan Torben Heuer <jt...@mail2003.dnsalias.org> on 2007/11/20 14:02:49 UTC

Maven, junit and Mock Classes

I have have (again) a design question, where to place "Mock" Classes for
junit.

Example:

project-core (depends project-dao)
        public TestSomeCoreFunctions {
                DAO dao = new MockDAO();
        }

project-dao
        public interface dao {
                public AccessObject1 do();
        }

        public interface AccessObject1 {

        }

project-another module (depends project-core)
        public TestSomeThing {
                DAO dao = new MockDAO();
                AccessObject1 ao = new MockAccessObject();
        }

So where can I put both Mock Objects?

Obviously not in the dao, because testclasses are not dependencies.
So I would end up with a project for each or all MockObjects.

project-dao-mock (depends project-dao)
        public class MockAccessObject implements AccessObject1..

This means in turn, that I COULD NOT use the mock objects in the project-dao
(circular dependencies), but I NEED them for my junit tests...

So what? I'm confused ;-)

Jan

RE: Re: Maven, junit and Mock Classes

Posted by "Siegmann Daniel, NY" <Da...@fja-us.com>.
You could use the test jar mojo:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/test-jar-mojo.html

--
Daniel Siegmann
FJA-US, Inc.

Posted by Jan Torben Heuer <jt...@mail2003.dnsalias.org>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/11/20, Jan Torben Heuer <jt...@mail2003.dnsalias.org>:

> I have have (again) a design question, where to place "Mock" Classes for
> junit.

Mock classes can stay in the src/test/java directory. What's the problem?

Antonio

Re: Maven, junit and Mock Classes

Posted by Francois Fernandes <f....@gmx.net>.
Guten Tag Jan Torben Heuer,

Hi Jan,
> So where can I put both Mock Objects?

> Obviously not in the dao, because testclasses are not dependencies.
> So I would end up with a project for each or all MockObjects.

You may specify the test-classes as a dependency using the test-jar
mojo of the jar plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/test-jar-mojo.html

Using this, you'll have jars containing the test-classes which will be
available using the "tests" classifier

Using that technique, it is possible to place your mock-objects inside
project-dao (or project-core, if the class-level dependencies allow
you to do so).

hope that helps.

Francois