Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by khozaima shakir <sk...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/10 23:30:42 UTC

Reading from files in servlet from Tomcat-4.0.4

Hi all,
I am trying to read from a file : filename
Where should i put this file in tomcat 4.0.4 directory structure?
I tried putting the file in directories:
webapps/ROOT, webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF, webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes  in each
instance i get the error message
"The system cannot find the file specified"

I used following statement in servlet code.
bufferin = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(new
FileInputStream(fileName)));

Thanks
Khozaima

Re: Reading from files in servlet from Tomcat-4.0.4

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Your best bet is to put them in webapps/<WEBAPP>/bob.txt

Then read them using servletContext.getResourceAsStream("/bob.txt");

This will still work when the application is packaged up as a WAR file.