Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2016/10/14 17:25:42 UTC

[FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a MDL library to start making some components with that
look and feel.
I'm following the Flat library project indications, and right now I'm
building it ok with maven (didn't test Ant, but as a copy/paste from Flat,
I think it should work as well).

Then I tried in a sample project. Again, new dependencies set and mdl
declarations are working, but result is not looking as I expect, maybe due
to some low level constructions that I still doesn't dominate (mainly the
internals in the "createElement():WrappedHTMLElement" overload, that I want
to try to give some love today as I get a bit more time.

Ok, from here,...I'm still trying to understand more things... for example:

1.- MDL requires some CSS files to be linked. I'm using it with
-html-template tag in the example project, but, maybe this should be
provided by the MDL.swc ? if so, why could we do this?

2.- To start implementing components, maybe it'd be better that someone
review what I'm doing (to avoid work in things that not conform to
standards setup here). Maybe I should upload the branch for people (Maybe
Alex, Peter,...) to take a look?

3.- I started trying to make a simple Colored Fab MDL button... (as
described here https://getmdl.io/components/index.html#buttons-section)

and find that using a simple mxml declaration almost worked (it's not
right, only an approximation, since I can't write "low level" HTML in MXML
like an <I> with HTMLElement). So, this:

<js:Button className="mdl-button mdl-js-button mdl-button--fab
mdl-button--colored">
</js:Button>

Shows a pink circle button, without icon.

My MDL button has the following createElement code:

/**
         * @flexjsignorecoercion org.apache.flex.core.WrappedHTMLElement
         * @flexjsignorecoercion HTMLButtonElement
         */
        override protected function createElement():WrappedHTMLElement
        {
            element = button = document.createElement('button') as
HTMLButtonElement;
            button.className = 'mdl-button mdl-js-button mdl-button--fab
mdl-button--colored';

            positioner = element;
            positioner.style.position = 'relative';
            (button as WrappedHTMLElement).flexjs_wrapper = this;
            element.flexjs_wrapper = this;

            return element;
        }

and I'm using at my example project : <mdl:Button/>

But instead to throw the pink empty circle button as the MXML example, it
shows a normal button as if my declaration was <js:Button/> (the same
indeed)

someone knows where I could be failing ?

Thanks

PD: I saw Justin posting about MDL license, I don't want to integrate MDL
in the project, instead, I want to declare external links to use them, if
this is not right I think there should be other methods to be license
compliant...

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Om,

just did what you propose and still shows the same:

1.- copy the class org.apache.flexjs.mdl to my test project
2.- removed old code
3.- instantiate using:

xmlns:mdl="org.apache.flex.mdl.*"

and

<mdl:Button/>

but again the result is better using the js:Button with className than my
low level MDL button that shows as a standard button.
It's like the .className is doing nothing...

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/17/16, 2:46 AM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

>btw, what means the attribute lookupOnly="true" in component tag in the
>manifest xml?

It means to add the class to the list of classes mapped to the manifest,
but not actually include the class in the SWC because it can be found in
another SWC.
In the regular Flex SDK, we used it to map mx.collections.ArrayList to the
Spark manifest so you could also just type s:ArrayList and not mix in mx
prefixes into your Spark-only app.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Thanks Alex,

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

thanks! for the inline problem, I cherry pick your commit in mdl branch and
add the code you suggested to the mdl example project, test it and it's
working, and showing the plus icon inside :)

A side of the success, maybe this should work with plain js:Button, since
this is really a icon button...

For the second problem, then I check the differences in UIBase/UIButtonBase
className setters and see UIButtonBase lacks:

COMPILE::JS
                {
                    element.className = typeNames ? value + ' ' + typeNames
: value;
                }

but my mdl button extends UIBase and not UIButtonBase (maybe it should be
the last...)
So here my main problem is that at that level (chose base comp extension) I
don't know the reasons to use one over another. I close the first one as my
copy paste of the basic button. In Flat there's no extension.

Anyway my test here doesn't throws what we expected and the button (via
component code) still is unstylised.

Checking UIButtonBase it seems is mainly surrounded by COMPILE::SWF and
there's COMPILE::JS (only in the className method), so this confuses
me...what is generating the compiler here? since there's a COMPILE::JS
inside COMPILE::SWF, in my understanding, there should be only SWF
generation...

Thanks

Carlos

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Thanks Alex,

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

just committed the MDLExample project in examples folder with minimal code,
just a js:Button with styles that works and a mdl:Button that should have
that styles and doesn't work. I configure to build with maven, but not  ant.

thanks

Carlos

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Chris,

thanks, I not remember that! :)
I think feature-autobuild is ok, since not all branches will need to use
the Jenkins setup.
I will try it as it will get unblocked hopefully soon :)

Thanks! :)

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

AW: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Working on a MDL branch

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to setup a MDL library to start making some components with
>that
>look and feel.
>I'm following the Flat library project indications, and right now I'm
>building it ok with maven (didn't test Ant, but as a copy/paste from Flat,
>I think it should work as well).
>
>Then I tried in a sample project. Again, new dependencies set and mdl
>declarations are working, but result is not looking as I expect, maybe due
>to some low level constructions that I still doesn't dominate (mainly the
>internals in the "createElement():WrappedHTMLElement" overload, that I
>want
>to try to give some love today as I get a bit more time.
>
>Ok, from here,...I'm still trying to understand more things... for
>example:
>
>1.- MDL requires some CSS files to be linked. I'm using it with
>-html-template tag in the example project, but, maybe this should be
>provided by the MDL.swc ? if so, why could we do this?

Use the <inject_html> directive.  See CreateJS.swc's Application class.

>2.- To start implementing components, maybe it'd be better that someone
>review what I'm doing (to avoid work in things that not conform to
>standards setup here). Maybe I should upload the branch for people (Maybe
>Alex, Peter,...) to take a look?

Sure, feel free to share the branch.

>3.- I started trying to make a simple Colored Fab MDL button... (as
>described here https://getmdl.io/components/index.html#buttons-section)
>
>and find that using a simple mxml declaration almost worked (it's not
>right, only an approximation, since I can't write "low level" HTML in MXML
>like an <I> with HTMLElement). So, this:
>
><js:Button className="mdl-button mdl-js-button mdl-button--fab
>mdl-button--colored">
></js:Button>

Did you try: