Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/05 05:41:54 UTC

InstallApacheFlex - Optional components

I am working on the optional components downloads for the InstallApacheFlex
AIR app. For BlazeDS and the FontSwf utility, I am having to download the
entire Adobe Flex 4.6 SDK (this is what the ant script is doing)  Is there
any chance that these two components are available as individual
downloads?  The Adobe Flex 4.6 SDK is 300+ MB and would add quite a bit of
time to the installation process.

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Optional components

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/5/12 1:29 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Downloads.xml points to http://www.adobe.com/products/eula/third_party/ for
> Third-party Legal Notices.  Searching through that that page, I dont see
> anything for Adobe 4.6.  I see notices for Flex 2 through 4.5.
>
> This seems to be the most relevant document:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/eula/third_party/pdfs/flex4_5_sdk_opensource_leg
> al_notices.pdf
>
> Is showing this license sufficient?
I think the text that is in downloads.xml is sufficient.  If you want to
provide a link to the Adobe Flex 4.6 eula, I think it is here [1].

[1]
http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/adobe_flex_software_development_kit
-combined-20110916_0930.pdf
--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Optional components

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

There a good chance that anyone install the SDK has the 4.6 SDK already - perhaps check a couple of likely locations and copy from there if possible? (ie standard FB instal directory etc)

If you can't find it add extra optional browse to 4.6 SDK in box at first step with tool tip explaining why it's needed.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Optional components

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>wrote:

> > Since we are unzipping the files in actionscript, ADL's memory footprint
> is
> > ballooning up to more than 1+ GB.  This is causing the unzipping to crash
> > with a "Error #1000: The system is out of memory." error.
> >
> > Even though my computer has 8 Gigs of RAM, ADL has an limit of around 1GB
> > per app.  So, this is expected behavior.
> >
> > I really wish we dint have to download the Adobe Flex 4.6 zip file at
> all.
> > The other option is to ship 7-Zip along with the app and use it instead
> of
> > FZip.  I am not sure if memory used by a NativeProcess counts towards the
> > ADL memory limit.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >

> Hey Om,
>
> I just had a quick look at the code and I see that for each call to: var
> fzip:Zip = new Zip();
> and subsequently adding event listeners, there isn't any clean up done.
> Clean up, as in an explicit call to fzip.close() and removal of *all* event
> listeners (there's 3 added and only 2 removed).
> I'm guessing adding this to the code will make sure that a Zip instance
> will be properly garbage collected
> after its used, thus keeping the memory from ballooning.
>
> So this method should at the very least look like this:
>
> private function onUnzipComplete(event:Event):void
> {
> var fzip:Zip = event.target as Zip;
>        * fzip.close();*
>  fzip.removeEventListener(ZipEvent.FILE_LOADED, onFileLoaded);
> fzip.removeEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onUnzipComplete);
> }
>
> The dynamic Event.COMPLETE listener (unzipCompleteFunction) might be added
> as a weak listener I guess.
>
> cheers,
>
> Roland

Yup, my bad.  Pretty big memory leaks because I am not cleaning things up
properly .  I have added a few checks since, but I will add your
suggestions as well.  Thanks for catching that.

BTW, I am sure there are other similar issues with the codebase, it would
do good to the codebase if it gets more eyballs :-)

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Actually, the problem is even worse than I thought.

Apache Flex Bin zip file = ~65 MB
Adobe Flex Bin zip file =  ~336 MB