Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Mateusz Parzonka <pa...@googlemail.com> on 2012/02/06 19:16:27 UTC

Problem with the upload of larger files using HttpClient 4.1.2

I'm developing and testing a little straight-forward client-server application using java (and scala).

The server is based on com.sun.net.httpserver.HttpServer and allows the upload of files via a basic RESTful interface using POST and PUT operations. The upload operation is restricted using Digest authentication (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt) which we implemented by ourselves, is tested and appears to be working properly in browsers, curl and Apache HttpClient.

The upload client wraps Apache HttpClient 4.1.2 and executes PUT operations over http to upload file entities. The content-type of the file is specified as application/xml in the header and only a single file is uploaded at a time.

When uploading files of different sizes strange behaviour could be observed:
- Files with sizes less than 1.076 kByte are uploaded successfully.
- Files with sizes greater than 1.122 kBytes fail with a java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe.

(The exact critical size is unknown since I've created files with different sizes manually to approximate the max working size)

The reason for the broken pipe is, that the client somehow ignored the www-authenticate-response uploading files of that size, as is documented by the server logs. "Ignore" means, that it just send multiple (4) messages containing no authentication header at all. But smaller files work well and the client sends an authentication request with the proper challenge-response correctly immediately after the www-authenticate-response as it should be.

The upload works in curl with files of all sizes, so no problem there.

So at this point, one could say: "There is some bug in your client." Okay, I kind of hope so... but I've also tried an open-source java RESTclient (http://code.google.com/p/rest-client/) (also wrapping Apache HttpClient) and it has exactly the same behaviour!

We tried it using this client over the internet and its also the same as described. So right now, I just hope I've missed to set something important in Apache HttpClient which leads to this erroneous behaviour and the developer of the open-source RESTclient missed it as well... any ideas what it could be would be great!

Re: Problem with the upload of larger files using HttpClient 4.1.2

Posted by Mateusz Parzonka <pa...@googlemail.com>.

Am Montag, 6. Februar 2012 um 21:19 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 19:16 +0100, Mateusz Parzonka wrote:
> > The reason for the broken pipe is, that the client somehow ignored the www-authenticate-response uploading files of that size, as is documented by the server logs. "Ignore" means, that it just send multiple (4) messages containing no authentication header at all. But smaller files work well and the client sends an authentication request with the proper challenge-response correctly immediately after the www-authenticate-response as it should be.
>

> Whenever a server drops connection instead of sending back a response
> message with a status code indicating a problem the fault always lies
> with the server.
>
> Oleg
Thanks Oleg, then I will examine our server more thoroughly!

Best regards
Mateusz

Re: Problem with the upload of larger files using HttpClient 4.1.2

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.