Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by ro...@us.ibm.com on 2011/06/03 22:29:37 UTC

OpenOffice Proposal: Relationships with Other Apache Products

I plan on updating the proposal on the wiki over the week-end.  I'm going
to start a series of threads on various sections of the proposal that I
think are a bit thin and which I could use some help with.

For "Relationships with Other Apache Products" we currently just call out
only POI as a possible connection based on document file formats that are
in common between the two projects, both the current POI Microsoft Office
formats, as well as possible future ODF libraries.

Are there any other Apache projects where there might be an interesting
relationship?   Anything jump out?

We have spreadsheets, word procesor, presentation, mathematical formula,
graphics editor, they export PDF, HTML, ODF, MS Office, raster graphics
formats.  We do some stuff with MathML and XForms.  I expect we'll merge
in some SVG support as some point.

Any of this ring a bell for other projects?

-Rob

Re: OpenOffice Proposal: Relationships with Other Apache Products

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM,  <ro...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Are there any other Apache projects where there might be an interesting
> relationship?   Anything jump out?

Apache Tika (http://tika.apache.org/) is a generic toolkit for
extracting text and metadata from various file formats. Improving ODF
support with tools from OOo is an obvious area of interest for Tika.

Apache PDFBox (http://pdfbox.apache.org/) is a Java library for
working with PDF documents. If not direct code sharing over the Java /
C++ divide, then at least sharing of PDF know-how and perhaps things
like test cases between these projects would be great.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: OpenOffice Proposal: Relationships with Other Apache Products

Posted by Help Earth Foundation <he...@gmail.com>.
Some of the Wave capabilities would be helpful off top of head.

NRJ

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)
>
> On 5 Jun 2011, at 04:17, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
>> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
>>> I plan on updating the proposal on the wiki over the week-end.  I'm going to start a series of threads on various sections of the proposal that I think are a bit thin and which I could use some help with. For "Relationships with Other Apache Products" we currently just call out only POI as a possible connection based on document file formats that are in common between the two projects, both the current POI Microsoft Office formats, as well as possible future ODF libraries.
>>> Are there any other Apache projects where there might be an interesting relationship?   Anything jump out?
>>
>> How about Community Development over at community.apache.org?
>>
>> It's not a technical relationship to be sure, but there have been far more discussions about how to manage communities in threads related to this potential podling than there have about almost any technical issues.
>>

> In my opinion there are two relationships with ComDev:
>
> 1) The education projects would seem to marry reasonably well with ComDevs current activities on mentoring. Although I should point out that The OO.o efforts have a different focus (although not necessarily out of scope for us)
>
> 2) in understanding the ApacheWay. It's the Incubators job to ensure the project is working well in this regard . ComDev has been increasing it's efforts to develop entry level docs for newcomers, and we've started to document some of our internal (often unwritten) knowledge. I'm pleased to say Dennis Hamilton has already helped us fix up a few issues as a result of this proposal.
>
> The proposal already has a request for a comdev mentor. I'm considering my time availability and encourage others (ComDev or otherwise) to consider signing up.
>
> Ross

Help Earth Foundation
4324 Yuma St. NW
Washington, DC 20016

www.helpearthfoundation.org
myspace.com/helpearthfoundation
twitter.com/helpearthdotorg

(202) 643-5791
nelson@helpearth.org
helpearthfoundation@gmail.com

Re: OpenOffice Proposal: Relationships with Other Apache Products

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I plan on updating the proposal on the wiki over the week-end.  I'm going
> to start a series of threads on various sections of the proposal that I
> think are a bit thin and which I could use some help with.
>

> For "Relationships with Other Apache Products" we currently just call out
> only POI as a possible connection based on document file formats that are
> in common between the two projects, both the current POI Microsoft Office
> formats, as well as possible future ODF libraries.
>
> Are there any other Apache projects where there might be an interesting
> relationship?   Anything jump out?

How about Community Development over at community.apache.org?

It's not a technical relationship to be sure, but there have been far
more discussions about how to manage communities in threads related to
this potential podling than there have about almost any technical issues.

- Shane

Re: OpenOffice Proposal: Relationships with Other Apache Products

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Are there any other Apache projects where there might be an interesting
> relationship?   Anything jump out?
>
> We have spreadsheets, word procesor, presentation, mathematical formula,
> graphics editor, they export PDF, HTML, ODF, MS Office, raster graphics
> formats.  We do some stuff with MathML and XForms.  I expect we'll merge
> in some SVG support as some point.

Apache Tika is one, I think Jukka's already posted about the possible link
there

Apache PDFBox is a Java library for reading and writing PDF files, so
there's potential overlap there

For SVG there's Apache XML Graphics

And I'm sure there are others, that's just off the top of my head :)

Nick