Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Elihu Smails <el...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/19 05:33:02 UTC

[Slightly OT] MVC approach when JSP are not allowed

I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
develop my servlets.  For the last servlet project I worked on, I was
in charge of the "back-end" data processing and did not have to mess
with HTML.  This time I do have to roll up my sleeves and play with
HTML.

So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
to ge the job done.

Thank you for your time...

Re: [Slightly OT] MVC approach when JSP are not allowed

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
Out of curiosity only, why were JSPs banned?  That seems to be a bit
of a mystery.  Do they ban html too?

Jack

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:33:02 -0500, Elihu Smails <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
> like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
> develop my servlets.  For the last servlet project I worked on, I was
> in charge of the "back-end" data processing and did not have to mess
> with HTML.  This time I do have to roll up my sleeves and play with
> HTML.
>
> So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
> servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
> I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
> to ge the job done.
>
> Thank you for your time...

~Dakota Jack~

Re: [Slightly OT] MVC approach when JSP are not allowed

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 23:33 -0500, Elihu Smails wrote:
> I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
> like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
> develop my servlets.  For the last servlet project I worked on, I was
> in charge of the "back-end" data processing and did not have to mess
> with HTML.  This time I do have to roll up my sleeves and play with
> HTML.
>
> So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
> servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
> I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
> to ge the job done.

What is the reason for the ban on using JSPs? A JSP page gets converted
into a servlet; in a sense JSP is just a different syntax for writing
servlets in.

If the reason is simply that the architects don't want run-time
compilation of files, or don't want a java compiler available on the
machine then JSPs can simply be precompiled.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [Slightly OT] MVC approach when JSP are not allowed

Posted by Elihu Smails <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the information.  I have not written a single JSP, but have
alot of experience with Servlets.  I am targetting Tomcat 5.5.x only,
so I think it is safe to say that I can compile my JSP.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Posted by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net>.

Elihu Smails wrote:

>I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
>like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
>develop my servlets.  For the last servlet project I worked on, I was
>in charge of the "back-end" data processing and did not have to mess
>with HTML.  This time I do have to roll up my sleeves and play with
>HTML.
>
>So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
>servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
>I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
>to ge the job done.
>
>Thank you for your time...

    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist
    iPOV
    (334) 821-5412
    www.ipov.net

Re: [Slightly OT] MVC approach when JSP are not allowed

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:33:02PM -0500, Elihu Smails wrote:
: I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
: like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
: develop my servlets.
: [snip]
: So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
: servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
: I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
: to ge the job done.

Yes and no.  Struts separates the calls business logic (Action classes)
to the formatting of the display.  The formatting defaults to JSP, but
really, can be any resource in your context: another servlet, a Velocity
template, etc.

The real question is why the JSPs have been banned.  If all such display
components are not permitted in your project, handling raw HTML inside a
servlet will be a maintenance nightmare.  That's why JSPs were invented!

-QM

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news  -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: [Slightly OT] MVC approach when JSP are not allowed

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Elihu Smails wrote:

>I am working on a project that uses servlets exclusively.  I would
>like to take advantage of a Model-View-Controller system in order to
>develop my servlets.  For the last servlet project I worked on, I was
>in charge of the "back-end" data processing and did not have to mess
>with HTML.  This time I do have to roll up my sleeves and play with
>HTML.
>
>So I ask the question.  Since the requirement that I have is to use
>servlets only, can I use something like Struts or Java Server Faces?
>I am reading some information and it looks like they both rely on JSP
>to ge the job done.

Struts can help you, but the views will have to be done as JSPs. Of
course, you can alway compile JSPs into servlets, Ant can help you with it.

Nix.