Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/18 14:50:43 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Struts v1.3.5 Beta

The Apache Struts team is pleased to announce the release of Struts 1.3.5 Beta.

Struts 1.3.5 is available in a full distribution, or as separate
library, source, example and documentation distributions.

     http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi#struts135

It is also available in the central Maven repository under Group ID
"org.apache.struts".

Major changes since Struts 1.2 include

    * Composable Request Processor
    * Arbitrary configuration properties
    * Opt-In Cancel Handling
    * Enhanced Global Exception Handlers
    * Extends attribute
    * "isCommitted" Exception Handling
    * Postback Actions
    * Wildcard ActionConfig properties

Composable Request Processor: For Struts 1.3, we turned the request
processor methods into Commands that are part of a flexible Chain of
Commands.

Arbitrary configuration properties: Most every Struts configuration
element now accepts a map of key/value pairs. Arbitrary configuration
properties let us externalize more of our configurations, encouraging
reuse.

Opt-In Cancel Handling: In Struts 1.3, the Cancel token is only
honored if the new property "cancellable" is set for the Action
Mapping. If the Cancel token is present, but cancellable is not set,
then an InvalidCancelException is thrown. The InvalidCancelExeption
may be caught by a Declarative Exception Handler, like any other
Exception.

Enhanced Global Exception Handlers: We now support use of global
exception handlers in cases when no ActionConfig has yet been
identified, as in with "preprocessing" commands in a custom request
processing chain.

Extends attribute: In the Struts configuration file, we can now use
the extends  attribute to adopt default settings from another element,
as we already can in the Tiles configuration files.

"isCommitted" Exception Handling: When using Tiles, sometimes the
response is already committed when an exception occurs. Now, the
ExceptionHandler tests response.isCommitted, and, if true, includes
the configured view path, rather than forwarding to it.

Postback Forms: The action attribute of the Form taglib is now
optional. If omitted, the original URI of the original request is
used.

Wildcard ActionConfig properties: Wildcards can now be used in the
properties of an ActionConfig.

The 1.3.x series of the Apache Struts framework has a minumum
requirement of the following specification versions:

    * Java Servlet 2.3 and JavaServer Pages (JSP) 1.2
    * Java 2 Standard Platform Edition (J2SE) 1.4

The release notes are available online at:

    http://struts.apache.org/1.x/userGuide/release-notes.html

Notes on upgrading from prior versions can be found on the
community-maintained wiki:

    http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13

--
Wendy Smoak