Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/07/07 18:04:20 UTC

Re: Apache 2.2 (was 1.3) Strict proxy C-L / T-E conformance

At 08:35 AM 7/7/2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>On Jul 5, 2005, at 8:56 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Attached is the mystery patch [omitted from the last note - whoops].
>>
>>IMHO we should apply the same to ap_http_filter() in 2.1's
>>http_filters.c
>
>It looks like a band-aid to me -- how does this module know that
>the server doesn't support other transfer encodings?  Wouldn't
>it be better to register a set of transfer encoding filters and
>then error if none matches?  Oh, never mind, this is for 1.3. +0.

To that idea, for Apache 2.2, a huge ++1!  I'll ensure we are
a bit more flexible for 2.1-dev.

As I think about it, we are wasting cycles injecting a filter
which keeps looking left and right to decide if it is handling
a C-L body or a T-E body.  IMHO these need to become two different
filters, and the body filter would -only- be injected in the absence
of all other T-E options.

A registered T-E filter would stack (with 'chunked' at the lowest
layer of the stack).  The order of stacking remains the only puzzle
to be solved.

Bill