Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by ei...@fastmail.fm on 2004/11/25 17:25:33 UTC

JMeter and Eclipse

I’ve encountered some problems regarding the integration between JMeter
and Eclipse which took me lots of time to resolve.
I'm writing this to users in order to save them the time I spent (I used
version 3.1M3):

There are two zip files to download from the Apache site, JMeter source
and binary. The problem is that there are files regarding Eclipse that
are in one zip and not in the other.

That’s what I did (as I recall it, because I try to solve it in lots of
ways):

1.    extracted the bin zip file, generate a ‘.project’ file and rename
the ‘eclipse.classpath’ to ‘.classpath’ file

2.    Run ‘all’ from Eclipse’s Ant, but got errors about lacking Jars.

3.    I extracted the source zip file into the same directory which I
extracted the bin zip file, and run Ant, Compilation was successful.

4.    I tried to run ‘NewDriver’ but got exceptions, then I find in the
archaic Eclipse+JMeter site that the working directory should be the
/bin. Run again and got new exceptions

5.    Despair… and then by a mistake, I found out that under ‘extras’
directory there are some files regarding Eclipse. I converted the
‘eclipselaunch.txt’ to ‘eclipsejmeter.launch’, made some changes
regarding the root name, copied it under
.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches, It appeared in the
Run menu.

6.    Run…………….. Works!!!

Well, it took two days of my life (it’s not bad, because the last time
it took more). I just can’t understand why the Apache guys can’t do it
more easily, they are working so hard on the code, why they are not
updating the sites regarding to Eclipse and JMeter, and if there is no
time, why don't they write a simple working eclipse.readme??? Look guys,
I appreciate your work and I know it's an open source, but I believe
that a simple comprehensive file shouldn't take more then half an hour
of your time, and it will help many users that maybe don't work with
JMeter because they are not familiar with Eclipse like you are.

Never the less, I thank you very much for developing JMeter, it's a
great tool, but it will be a shame if ppl  are not using it because of
those reasons, so easy for you to resolve.

Eitan

--

  eitanob@fastmail.fm

Re: JMeter and Eclipse

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:25:33 -0800, eitanob@fastmail.fm
<ei...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I've encountered some problems regarding the integration between JMeter
> and Eclipse which took me lots of time to resolve.
> I'm writing this to users in order to save them the time I spent (I used
> version 3.1M3):

Thanks for the feedback.

May I suggest you update the JMeter FAQ with this information?

> There are two zip files to download from the Apache site, JMeter source
> and binary. The problem is that there are files regarding Eclipse that
> are in one zip and not in the other.

Yes, you need both in order to do a build. Otherwise the source
archive would have been a lot bigger.

> That's what I did (as I recall it, because I try to solve it in lots of
> ways):
>
> 1.    extracted the bin zip file, generate a '.project' file and rename
> the 'eclipse.classpath' to '.classpath' file

Eclipse should generate the project file if you create a Java project.
You can then import the contents of the zips.

The eclipse.classpath file is to save (most of) the hassle of
configuring the project by hand, but it still needs to be tweaked for
the optional jars.

> 2.    Run 'all' from Eclipse's Ant, but got errors about lacking Jars.
>
> 3.    I extracted the source zip file into the same directory which I
> extracted the bin zip file, and run Ant, Compilation was successful.
>
> 4.    I tried to run 'NewDriver' but got exceptions, then I find in the
> archaic Eclipse+JMeter site that the working directory should be the
> /bin. Run again and got new exceptions
>
> 5.    Despair… and then by a mistake, I found out that under 'extras'
> directory there are some files regarding Eclipse. I converted the
> 'eclipselaunch.txt' to 'eclipsejmeter.launch', made some changes
> regarding the root name, copied it under
> .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches, It appeared in the
> Run menu.
>
> 6.    Run…………….. Works!!!
>
> Well, it took two days of my life (it's not bad, because the last time
> it took more). I just can't understand why the Apache guys can't do it
> more easily, they are working so hard on the code, why they are not
> updating the sites regarding to Eclipse and JMeter, and if there is no
> time, why don't they write a simple working eclipse.readme??? Look guys,

There is some information on the JMeter FAQ about developing with Eclipse.
Perhaps you like to update it.

> I appreciate your work and I know it's an open source, but I believe
> that a simple comprehensive file shouldn't take more then half an hour
> of your time, and it will help many users that maybe don't work with
> JMeter because they are not familiar with Eclipse like you are.

So? It's up to developers what they use.

For example, JMeter builds fine using Ant.

> Never the less, I thank you very much for developing JMeter, it's a
> great tool, but it will be a shame if ppl  are not using it because of
> those reasons, so easy for you to resolve.

Or now you could resolve it :-)
(by updating the FAQ)