Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rajwinder Makkar <rm...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/05 23:58:45 UTC

Manifest

Hi,

Here is the scenario :

- I want to insert "property and value" pair in maven artifact manifest
file.
- I understand there are maven plugins where i can modify manifest like
"Maven Archiver".
- But above requires development team to mention things in POM which
sometimes is difficult to preach in big organization.

Question is :

How can i pass "property/value" pair a part of maven build process on the
command line which insert things in manifest file ? Something like mvn
clean install --manifestdefineproperty property=value

-raj

Re: Manifest

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <s7...@netscape.net>.
Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:46:05 +0200, /Stanimir Stamenkov/:

> Note, depending on the purpose of this property you might not be
> doing something considered a good practice, but I can say from the
> description you've given.

I've really meant to say: "... but I *can't* say from the
description you've given".

--
Stanimir

Re: Manifest

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <s7...@netscape.net>.
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:58:45 -0800, /Rajwinder Makkar/:

> How can i pass "property/value" pair a part of maven build process on the
> command line which insert things in manifest file ? Something like mvn
> clean install --manifestdefineproperty property=value

Note, depending on the purpose of this property you might not be
doing something considered a good practice, but I can say from the
description you've given.

On the command-line you should be able to set a system property like:

mvn -Dproperty=value ...

and then refer ${property} in the archive configuration.  One should
be able to set the necessary property in his "settings.xml" [1], in
a profile active by default [2], also.  In any case, you might want
to add enforcer configuration to verify the necessary property has
been set:

http://maven.apache.org/enforcer/maven-enforcer-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/requireProperty.html

[1] http://maven.apache.org/settings.html#Properties