Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Jo...@lotus.com on 2001/10/16 16:28:00 UTC

Re: [Xerces2] Beta3 Release Plan

Xalan is using the Xerces incremental-parse feature. The API for that
changed in Xerces2, and we haven't yet updated Xalan to know how to deal
with the new version. I'm starting to investigate that; somewhere in my
mail logs I've got a discussion of what would have to change.

Unfortunately, because the old calls were removed entirely, we're going to
have to use reflection in order to compile cleanly while supporting both
versions of Xerces. What I'd _rather_ see, if we could talk the Xerces
folks into it, would be to have the old methods restored but deprecated;
that would let us use a simple "if" instead, and phase out the Xerces1
support at a later date after everyone has had a chance to upgrade to the
latest-and-greatest parser.  (I don't even insist that the deprecated calls
_work_, though that would be a useful bonus; I just want to be able to
compile and link successfully.)

Any chance of my talking the Xerces team into this?