Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2003/09/05 14:53:07 UTC

(Jeremias, Keiron) Re: SVG Text layout/modification patch

Thomas,

Sorry for the delay in response--failing a answer from
the other FOP committers--I'll look into the issue
this weekend.

In the meantime, as you say, the pdf transcoder needs
updating--can you send us the patch where Batik
changed (or the ViewCVS link if it was already done),
also to another transcoder that was updated as a
result of this change (ViewCVS also fine)?  I'll need
something to work from in order to update the code--I
don't know transcoderese.

As for this issue of handing the transcoder to Batik,
Jeremias/Keiron, (I believe) you're our PDF transcoder
experts--would it better for Apache users to have the
pdf transcoder moved off to Batik?  Our hands are full
on FOP.  Or, would it just reverse the problem (i.e.,
changes to FOP would force Batik to keep updating the
transcoder, *and* our changes are more frequent and
more complex than theirs?)

Thanks,
Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
I wish I could--production is a complete mess to work
with!  But what about Gump?  It will be complaining
each and every day about fop-maintenance (although it
won't care about fop-development once we update *it*.)
 Gump wants compliance with the latest library
versions--this is the problem Jeremias ran into last
June with the last Batik change, so he had to update
both maintenance & development.

If its 10/15 lines of code to change, I'll do it.  A
daily Gump error message will degenerate into Chinese
water torture for us.  (And anything that depends on
FOP maintenance will fail in Gump as well.)

Glen

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Glen Mazza wrote:

> 1.)  Please go ahead and commit the code on your side
> right now--Gump will complain for the next couple of
> days before the change is made on our side, however.
> But it's easiest for me to code against something
> already made.

   This is done.  The commit includes a couple of other
more minor fixes - but the patch I gave you has just the
TextPainter fixes.

> 2.)  I'd love to hand off the transcoders to your team
> on a silver platter--[...]  Let's
> hold this as a hopeful goal for 1.0 though, once it
> stabilizes (and works!, which may be far off).

   Ok that is fine with me.

> 3.)  Be ready to answer questions I may have over the
> next few days to fix the transcoders--on 0.20.x
> production and 1.0 development.  (I suspect though,
> the changes will turn out to be quite simple.)

   Certainly don't hesitate to ask.

> 4.)  Let us know when this change will appear in the
> next beta release--we will update our library
> distributed in production & development.

   Will do.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> wrote:

>      Thanks, there isn't a huge rush but I wanted to
> make
> sure this wasn't a really bad time for you.

It's always a bad time! ;)

1.)  Please go ahead and commit the code on your side
right now--Gump will complain for the next couple of
days before the change is made on our side, however.
But it's easiest for me to code against something
already made.

2.)  I'd love to hand off the transcoders to your team
on a silver platter--we have more than enough on our
hands--problem is that currently the internal code for
1.0 is changing many, many times--we would have to
keep working with you to get the code updated on your
side.  For the production side the problem is the code
is not very well encapsulated, you would be ripping
out & duplicating too much of the application.  Let's

Re: (Jeremias, Keiron) Re: SVG Text layout/modification patch

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Glen Mazza wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Sorry for the delay in response--failing a answer from
> the other FOP committers--I'll look into the issue
> this weekend.

     Thanks, there isn't a huge rush but I wanted to make
sure this wasn't a really bad time for you.

> In the meantime, as you say, the pdf transcoder needs
> updating--can you send us the patch where Batik
> changed (or the ViewCVS link if it was already done),
> also to another transcoder that was updated as a
> result of this change (ViewCVS also fine)?  I'll need
> something to work from in order to update the code--I
> don't know transcoderese.

I've attached the patch (hope it isn't too large), I'll
commit it if it is easier for you (let me know).  For
examples of the  type of changes you will need to make take
a look at batik.gvt.font.AWTGVTGlyphVector.

   All the aci.getAttribute(FOREGROUND) need to be
fixed.  While some changes are needed in the PDFTranscoder
(from a while ago actually - these aren't as severe and
I will try and put togeather a patch for you). Most of these
changes will be in the PDFTextPainter ( there may be other
TextPainters that need updating in FOP as well).

> As for this issue of handing the transcoder to Batik,
> Jeremias/Keiron, (I believe) you're our PDF transcoder
> experts--would it better for Apache users to have the
> pdf transcoder moved off to Batik?  Our hands are full
> on FOP.  Or, would it just reverse the problem (i.e.,
> changes to FOP would force Batik to keep updating the
> transcoder, *and* our changes are more frequent and
> more complex than theirs?)

   Looking at the code it's not clear to me which is the
case.  I'm beginning to think we should just live with
it for now.