Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Mark Imel <mi...@DataChannel.com> on 2000/03/01 02:14:26 UTC

Profiling Xalan

For our solution, we're migrating to Xalan for XSL/T support. I've been very
impressed by Xalan's design, extensibility and for the most part its
performance.

In going over some profiling, however, i've found one area that i thought
might bring a significant gain for us and Xalan users at large with minimal
code impact.  For any given transformation, we add about 90+ parameters to
the StyleSheet via a call to:
			processor.SetStyleSheetParam(...)

During transformations, those parameters get resolved in the function:
	XSLTEngineImpl.VariableStack.getVariable(QName name)

The time spent in this function amounts to roughly 40% of the entire time
spent processing a web-request, when all it really needs to perform is a
hashtable lookup.

I realize that a stack is required to maintain namespaces, but couldn't the
objects placed on the VariableStack be namespace contexts and an associated
hashtable of name-value pairs? This would remove the need to iterate over
the datastructure and hopefully, greatly speed the performance of this
function.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance,
--mark

Mark Imel                                        DataChannel
Software Engineer                600 108th Ave NE, Suite 900
mimel@datachannel.com                    Bellevue, WA  98004
(425) 974-4173                    http://www.datachannel.com

Problem with CVS server - Admin person please read

Posted by Linda Derezinski <li...@sclrules.com>.
I have been able to checkout xml-xalan and xml-xerces without problems
before, however today this is this is the error when I try to checkout
either project.

cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from xml.apache.org: cvs:
setgroups: Operation not permitted

In the past I have seen some error about setgroups, but it did not prevent
me from updating my local copy.

Thanks
-Linda Derezinski
Interface & Control Systems Inc.