Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/10 18:42:34 UTC

13+17

Hello,

I got encouraged by Neil to start a new thread - its not my fault.

current status:

JDK 11 is the latest non-EOL JDK, NetBeans can be build or tested on.

Building NB on JDK 17 involves most likely just a few property bumps and
library updates. I could make the java cluster build just by doing that
and by updating the build-time gradle wrapper.
(https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3278)

I can't actually update the gradle wrapper myself (outside of making it
point to a local zip for testing purposes) because i am not familiar
with the lib hosting service the NB build uses - that is why its not
part of the PR - someone else would have to do that (why can't it just
use a maven repo?).

That would be the easy part, testing on JDK 16+ is going to be more
interesting, since NetBeans appears to hook into a very old version of
osgi (3.9 via the netbinox module and friends as far as i see, which
doesn't even officially support JDK8 btw). There need to be also some
updates to junit JVM flags and build configs, but i have those in my
stash and it isn't really worth mentioning, beside that its all over the
place as to be expected in a big project. Using JDK 16 as a intermediate
step before progressing to 17, might help there since the module system
of 17 became more restrictive on top of all that.

If NetBeans 13 would like to claim to support JDK 17 i would recommend
to start with some of this early in the development cycle, esp with the
low hanging fruits (gradle wrapper, which unblocks the
build-java-cluster-on-17 PR etc).

best regards,

michael

Re: 13+17

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if this helps further (this was written prior to JDK 17 but has
links to other "depricated/removed" APIs which may also be related
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5349

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 9:09 AM Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't want to leave this old thread open without a status report:
>
> whats left:
> - JDK 17 doesn't have the javascript runtime

Assume this is related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4168 Handling Nashorn
Removal inline with JDK 15
(see links in comments for possible migration guidance)

Not sure if this will show up or if this has already been fixed (and not
closed out) but does this also account for removal of some of the XML
functionality likeNETBEANS-1866
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1866> Netbean XML
Compilation Issues JDK 11?

-michael

Re: 13+17

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to leave this old thread open without a status report:

  - gradle module is up2date and is now pulling the files from the
official gradle server thanks to Laszlo and Matthias
    -> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3326
  - Java cluster is buildable on JDK 17
    -> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3278
    -> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3372
  - nb-javac is pulled from maven and included by default, which makes
javac 17 the new baseline if i see this correctly
    -> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3251
    -> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2783

whats left:
- a lot of tests won't work without solving the OSGI issue (I suppose
"netbinox" isn't relevant at runtime otherwise we would have noticed it
by now while running on JDK 17)
- JDK 17 doesn't have the javascript runtime
- "Replacing SecurityManager with a tracking agent" sounds super
interesting for JDK 17+
    -> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3386

good job everyone!

Re: 13+17

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
excellent!

Re: 13+17

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: 13+17

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: 13+17

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: 13+17 (Nashorn Removal)

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Since discussing JDK 17 concerns..

$ java --version
openjdk 17 2021-09-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17+35 (build 17+35)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17+35 (build 17+35, mixed mode, sharing)

Pulled down the latest from master

$ ant -Dcluster.config=full

prepare-vanilla-javac:
    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\git\nb.latest\netbeans\nbbuild\build\langtools
    [unzip] Expanding:
C:\git\nb.latest\netbeans\nbbuild\external\langtools-9.zip into
C:\git\nb.latest\netbeans\nbbuild\build\langtools
Java 15 has removed Nashorn, you must provide an engine for running
JavaScript yourself. GraalVM JavaScript currently is the preferred option.

Assume this involves different imports/dependencies changes but figured I
would bring it up as well. Maybe related to NETBEANS-4168

Re: 13+17

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: 13+17

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:44 AM Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's not about the how. It's about from where (legal).

(As Neil), I am not sure if there's a legal problem. The
libraries/dependencies we use have some license, and that license needs to
fulfil some requirements, but we could download from various places.

But, I would be careful with adding new servers to the list from where we
can download (currently Maven Central and OSUOSL) - if any of the servers
will be down, NetBeans won't build anymore.

Jan

Re: 13+17

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: 13+17