Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Oliver Schoenwald <ol...@FernUni-Hagen.de> on 2006/04/24 12:52:54 UTC

Howto activate JSSESupport in Apache-mod_jk-Tomcat 5.5.x

Hello,

I want to use SSLSessions in Tomcat 5.5.x and wonder how I can activate
the JSSE-Support
and SSLSession-Handling for Tomcat? In the source-code I see some
classes in the
connectors-directory that seem to prepare the catalina-engine for the
use of SSLSessions
with and without X509Certificate-Support.

In fact, I want to be able to use something like request.getSSLSession()
instead of
request.getSession() and that SSLSession should work the same way as the
StandardSession
that catalina uses per default.

But how do I activate and use this feature in an actual installation? I
think it must be
done in server.xml. Is there some documentation about that? Did someone
do it himself
and successfully?

Thank you in advance,

Oliver Schönwald

Re: Howto activate JSSESupport in Apache-mod_jk-Tomcat 5.5.x

Posted by Oliver Schoenwald <ol...@FernUni-Hagen.de>.
Hi Mark,

sorry, you misunderstood me. Of cause we already SSL for Apache,
configured mod_jk to deliver certain SSL-Information etc. etc. etc.
What Tomcat/Catalina doesn't support by default is getting a SSLSession
based on the SSL-SessionID of a running SSL-Connection. So far I have
found no information or documentation about how to activate SSL-based
SessionManagement in Catalina, although it is part of the Servlet-API
and I have found certain source-code in the catalina-connector-sourcetree
that seem to work toward SSL-based SessionManagement.

Hmm, I think I will try to contact the author of that sources to find out
more about it.

Oliver Schönwald