Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <no...@qos.ch> on 2004/04/26 23:02:59 UTC

PreparedStatementAppender vs. JDBCAppenderPlus

After studying both PreparedStatementAppender vs. JDBCAppenderPlus, I would
like to build on mostly PreparedStatementAppender for the DBAppender to be
included in the next version of log4j.

My preference goes to PreparedStatementAppender over JDBCAppenderPlus
because of its simplicity although it maybe purportedly less flexible.

I think PreparedStatementAppender could be further simplified if we assumed
fixed table columns. Is there any real advantage in allowing variation in
the column names?  We don't allow any flexibility when using XMLLayout, why
should we allow variation in the column names when writing to a DB?
Flexibility without a real-world use case does not seem wise to me... Is
there a use case where flexibility for the table columns would make sense?

By the way, when inserting events into the database, we can ensure that the
primary key for each row is sequential. When reading from the database, a
db receiver could insert the primary key into the properties under the key
'pkey'. This should allow us to efficiently compare events coming from a db.
(I am assuming that an event will be inserted into a single table. Things
get more complicated if one starts playing with one-to-many relationship
between an event and its MDC and/or properties map.)

--
Ceki Gülcü