Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2011/02/15 21:08:46 UTC

February board report

Apologies for the lateness of this (and thus there being no time for
ComDev feedback). I'm currently off work sick (nothing serious) and
completely forgot as a result.

Here's the ComDev board report for February 2010

Status report for the Apache Community Development Project

Project Status
--------------

The Community Development is progressing well, although a little more
slowly than some whould have hoped.

No issues require board attention at this time.

Community

Google Summer of Code 2011 is in preparation stages. For the first time
we have more admin volunteers than we need - which is great.

The EU project (OpenSE) that planned to bring students to our mentoring
programme is about to commence its second pilot run. In the first run we
had a number of interested enquiries but nobody actually started work as
a mentee. On the one hand this is a dissapointment, on the othe it is
good to know that our ASF volunteers are not wasting time on the initial
phases of engaging mentees that, ultimately, bring nothing to the
project. The OpenSE team believes the main barrier is the high
expectations we have of students - we make it clear that they must be
self-motivated and results oriented. This coupled with the reputaton of
the ASF appears to be intimidating potential mentees. In the next pilot
the learning assitants are focussing on the career advantages experience
with ASF projects can bring and are introducing a "community game" which
will introduce students to the idea of engaging in public.

Apache-extras.org was launched. As agreed the committee is hands off on
the management of this site. There are currently 89 projects listed.

Objectives for next period

     * Coordinate Google Summer of Code
     * Analyse use of apache-extras.org

Re: February board report

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Sent from my mobile device.

On 15 Feb 2011, at 20:08, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

> Apologies for the lateness of this

And spoils for not submitting in the correct form. Will be more careful next time.

Ross