Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Steve Leibel <st...@bluetuna.com> on 2001/04/22 04:14:26 UTC

Must restart Apache when any .pm changes?

I'm experimenting with using Perl modules (.pm files) underneath
Mason components.

As far as I can see, the only way to guarantee that changes made in
the .pm are seen by the Mason code is to restart Apache whever the
.pm file changes.  This is true whether the "use" statement is in
handler.pl or in the component.

I believe the way this works is that the first time any Apache child
process sees "use Foo" that is the version of Foo.pm that will be
used by that process.  No subsequent "use Foo" within components will
have any effect during the life of that Apache process.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Re: Must restart Apache when any .pm changes?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ne...@writeme.com>.
man Apache::StatINC

  Issac

Internet is a wonderful mechanism for making a fool of
yourself in front of a very large audience.
  --Anonymous

Moving the mouse won't get you into trouble...  Clicking it might.
  --Anonymous

PGP Key 0xE0FA561B - Fingerprint:
7E18 C018 D623 A57B 7F37 D902 8C84 7675 E0FA 561B

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Steve Leibel wrote:

> I believe the way this works is that the first time any Apache child
> process sees "use Foo" that is the version of Foo.pm that will be
> used by that process.  No subsequent "use Foo" within components will
> have any effect during the life of that Apache process.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, mostly.  Check out the Apache::Reload module though.  It does what I
think you want.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun