Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/04 22:32:38 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 0.9.0-incubating (RC5)

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Benjamin Hindman
<be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean recruit active participants from the
> Mesos community into the IPMC? Or do you mean recruit people from the IPMC
> to be more active in Mesos?

Ideally each podling should have at least three active mentors who can
make sure that the required threshold of at least three PMC votes for
a release is reached.

If that's not the case (as it sounds like), there are a few options:

* Ask help from other IPMC members to review the particular release
candidate. If you're otherwise doing fine, this should be an OK
workaround until you graduate.

* Find one or more new mentors to replace inactive ones. Based on past
experience this can be a bit difficult, but definitely worth a try.

* If the above solutions fail, i.e. the Incubator PMC is unable to
provide the help and oversight you deserve, we can also promote
deserving PPMC members to the IPMC so that they have binding vote on
things like releases. This works, but since that's more or less
equivalent to saying that at least a part of the PPMC is already able
to oversee itself, so one could well argue that a better solution
would be to simply let the podling graduate.

None of these solutions are really ideal, which is why I'm really
hoping to find better ways for us to proactively identify and find
solutions  to cases where a podling no longer has enough active
mentors. Unfortunately that won't help with the pressing matter of
your release vote.

Any IPMC members around who'd be willing to lend Mesos a hand and
review this release candidate? Unless anyone beats me to it (please
do! :-), I'll take care of it later in the weekend.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 0.9.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks for taking a look, Matthias! It's very much appreciated.

Matei

Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 0.9.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Benjamin Hindman <be...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> With 3 binding +1 votes, 0 +0 votes, and 0 -1 votes, this release candidate
> is promoted to a release!

Did you get around to announcing the new release already? I see the
release in /dist/incubator/mesos, but I didn't see a release
announcement yet and there are no related changes in
http://incubator.apache.org/mesos/download.html.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 0.9.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@berkeley.edu>.
Thanks so much for taking a look Matthias! We have releases in the
pipeline, so your continued involvement would be amazing!

With 3 binding +1 votes, 0 +0 votes, and 0 -1 votes, this release candidate
is promoted to a release!

Tally:

+1:

Matei Zaharia (non-binding)
Brian McCallister (binding)
Tom White (binding)
Matthias Wessendorf (binding)

+0:

-1:

Ben.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

not that I want to (immediately) become a mentor here, but I am happy
to oversee future release votes,
and see if the community needs some other guidance etc.

-M

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Benjamin Hindman
> <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean recruit active participants from the
>> Mesos community into the IPMC? Or do you mean recruit people from the IPMC
>> to be more active in Mesos?
>
> Ideally each podling should have at least three active mentors who can
> make sure that the required threshold of at least three PMC votes for
> a release is reached.
>
> If that's not the case (as it sounds like), there are a few options:
>
> * Ask help from other IPMC members to review the particular release
> candidate. If you're otherwise doing fine, this should be an OK
> workaround until you graduate.
>
> * Find one or more new mentors to replace inactive ones. Based on past
> experience this can be a bit difficult, but definitely worth a try.
>
> * If the above solutions fail, i.e. the Incubator PMC is unable to
> provide the help and oversight you deserve, we can also promote
> deserving PPMC members to the IPMC so that they have binding vote on
> things like releases. This works, but since that's more or less
> equivalent to saying that at least a part of the PPMC is already able
> to oversee itself, so one could well argue that a better solution
> would be to simply let the podling graduate.
>
> None of these solutions are really ideal, which is why I'm really
> hoping to find better ways for us to proactively identify and find
> solutions  to cases where a podling no longer has enough active
> mentors. Unfortunately that won't help with the pressing matter of
> your release vote.
>
> Any IPMC members around who'd be willing to lend Mesos a hand and
> review this release candidate? Unless anyone beats me to it (please
> do! :-), I'll take care of it later in the weekend.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf