Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Teia Gatling <tg...@gwmail.gwu.edu> on 2020/03/12 01:13:56 UTC

Release Schedule Analysis

ALCON,

I am currently a doctoral candidate with the George Washington University
working towards a Doctorate in Engineering Management.  My current research
topic surrounds the release time of software updates.  Is there a method
used to determine the current release schedules in support of Apache
products that can be shared?

If available, I would be interested in discussing my topic further with
you.  Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,
Teia Gatling
GWU SEAS
Engineering Management

Re: Release Schedule Analysis

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
And actually - when it comes to this discussion - we will be
supper-happy if you could help us with providing other examples and some
preliminary result of your analysis... I think that would be super helpful
if you could take part in the discussion!

J.

--
+48 660 796 129

Re: Release Schedule Analysis

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Some more details about Apache Airflow:

1) we announce the intention of making the release in the community and ask
people to raise any important issues they would like to get "in" (currently
we are in active development for Airflow 2.0 but we are cherry-picking
quite a number of changes to 1.10 line

2) we make sure to review all JIRA issues marked previously for inclusion
in 1.10.* line and (semi-automatically) make sure that code <> JIRA is in
sync

3) we prepare a release candidate and we ask the community to test &
install it - we have quite a number of automated tests (>4500) to test the
release + we are working on the automation of system tests (or e2e tests).
Anyone can take a look and tests this new release and install it as RC
release from pypi (so we also test the process of installation).

4) we start the regular voting process which lasts at least 72 and
following the ASF rules we have to have at least 3 PMC members to vote +1
(and no veto) to release it.

5) the releases so far are approximately every 2 months or so. No "regular"
planned relaese schedule. For 2.0 we were thinking to change it to regular
release schedule but this is in a discussion phase.

6) quite recently we also voted on backport releases as well. While regular
releases of airflow release "everything", big part of Airflow are so called
"providers" - i.e. integrations with external systems Airflow orchestrates.
We implemented a change that all providers in 2.0 have been moved to a new
package and we develop them independently from 1.10 line there, but we want
to make those available for 1.10 and we are going to release backport
providers packages separately with less regular cadence (this will be
per-provider, which we have about ~ 60 separate providers. This will be
done differently - we are going to run semi-automated "system" test
per-provider and release the providers one-by-one as soon as system tests
for that provider is completed. Those will be released with Calver
versioning -(backport-providers-google-1.10-2020.03.13 for example).

J.

Re: Release Schedule Analysis

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Of course everyone’s welcome to participate. Best way to start is to introduce yourself over at dev@geode.apache.org and ask your questions there.