Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Talha Oktay <to...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/23 18:22:31 UTC

how to delete a project completely from a subversion

I know that it is possible to delete a directory or project via giving a url
to a svn delete command. On the other hand, when I import the same project
to the same url I see that it is still revisioned. How can I delete a
url/project completely along with everything related to that, history etc. I
often create small projects and after finishing the job I want to get rid of
everything along with it because I have to keep all the related work in my
company's configuration system.
TaO

Re: how to delete a project completely from a subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 23, 2006, at 19:22, Talha Oktay wrote:

> I know that it is possible to delete a directory or project via
> giving a url to a svn delete command. On the other hand, when I
> import the same project to the same url I see that it is still
> revisioned. How can I delete a url/project completely along with
> everything related to that, history etc. I often create small
> projects and after finishing the job I want to get rid of
> everything along with it because I have to keep all the related
> work in my company's configuration system.

Sounds like it might make more sense in your case then to keep each
project in its own repository so that if you ever need to oblitterate
all records of any project, it's as easy as deleting the repository.

Re: how to delete a project completely from a subversion

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
Talha Oktay wrote:

> I know that it is possible to delete a directory or project via giving a url
> to a svn delete command. On the other hand, when I import the same project
> to the same url I see that it is still revisioned. How can I delete a
> url/project completely along with everything related to that, history etc. I
> often create small projects and after finishing the job I want to get rid of
> everything along with it because I have to keep all the related work in my
> company's configuration system.

If it's a small project, why not create a private repository?

-a

Re: how to delete a project completely from a subversion

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Talha Oktay <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know that it is possible to delete a directory or project via
>> giving a url to a svn delete command. On the other hand, when I
>> import the same project to the same url I see that it is still
>> revisioned. How can I delete a url/project completely along with
>> everything related to that, history etc. I often create small
>> projects and after finishing the job I want to get rid of everything
>> along with it because I have to keep all the related work in my
>> company's configuration system.
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#removal

I've had this discussion with CVS, VCC, Perforce, and other source control
system admins. The theory is that a source control system deletes nothing,
ever, nohow, shouldn't be done.

In practice, some idiot always puts in a typo and creates an erroneous
project in the wrong place, and doesn't want to waste the disk space or log
confusion if someone else goes to previous revisions and accidentally gets
the wrong file. This is particularly important for private, internal
information that should not be accessible to others using the repository,
especially the sys-admin. (I always did love explaining to people that
having NFS clients means that a local root user can pretend to be them and
access every file in their NFS home directory, which is why you don't run
NFS on a public network. Explaining that to an MIT computer science
professor was..... amusing.)

Re: how to delete a project completely from a subversion

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.