Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org> on 2014/01/02 21:26:38 UTC

Re: What is the intended process to publish trunk docbooks to the Qpid website?

Hi, Keith.  It's great news that you're looking at automating the doc build.

Last this was discussed, Robbie suggested we make it part of a nightly
build page.

  http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Website-update-4-td7592756.html

As I mention near the end of that thread, I need to modify the release
generation scripts to handle nightlies.  I'll try to get a version of
that ready for you soon.  We'll need some robot credentials to publish
the results via subversion, or some other area off the main site that
we can link to.  I haven't looked into either of these things yet.

The mocked up nightly page is live.  It's just not linked from
anything.  We'll need to adjust its content to reflect the artifacts
we actually end up producing via buildbot.

  http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-nightly/index.html

The stuff under books/trunk is the traditional location, from before
the site update.  We should continue using that until we switch to the
nightly page.  I think the thing under components is just an error on
my part.

Thanks again for taking a look at this.

Justin

Re: What is the intended process to publish trunk docbooks to the Qpid website?

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Robbie Gemmell
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sort of related, I wondered what the process is for updating the docs for
> existing releases? This is something I think we need to do more of, and for
> me is one of the nice things about having version specific docs...plus its
> simply all too usual for people not to be using the latest release.

The following commands should suffice to regenerate docs for a given
release branch.

% make gen-release-books RELEASE=0.24
% make gen-release-api-doc RELEASE=0.24
% make gen-release-examples RELEASE=0.24

(And then commit the changes.)

Justin

Re: What is the intended process to publish trunk docbooks to the Qpid website?

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 01/03/2014 10:25 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Sort of related, I wondered what the process is for updating the docs for
> existing releases? This is something I think we need to do more of, and for
> me is one of the nice things about having version specific docs...plus its
> simply all too usual for people not to be using the latest release.

I would guess the best way would be commits on the release branch after the
release tag, which might ultimately become minor point releases if we also start
to fix bugs on old releases. I'm not sure we have the resources to do the
testing etc to manage minor releases on multiple branches however.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Sort of related, I wondered what the process is for updating the docs for
existing releases? This is something I think we need to do more of, and for
me is one of the nice things about having version specific docs...plus its
simply all too usual for people not to be using the latest release.

Robbie