Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by po...@tigris.org on 2008/12/07 13:59:45 UTC

svn+ssh Ubuntu 8.10 gnome-keyring regression

Linux Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 upgrade broke my
repository access via svn+ssh.
Symptoms were very mysterious and I clobbered
my source code repository before resolving it.

Symptoms:
UUID mismatch between repository and working copy.  Only occurs when multiple svn+ssh
repositories are used.

Problem occurs when running within X
windows, but not when using a primitive
Linux console (i.e. ctl-alt-F5).

The last tunnel that is created is used,
instead of the one referenced by
"-t -i id_rsa...".  Tunnel per-user state survives sshd restarts and Linux reboot.

/var/log/auth.log has revealing message.

Re: svn+ssh Ubuntu 8.10 gnome-keyring regression

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
postmaster@tigris.org wrote:
> Linux Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 upgrade broke my
> repository access via svn+ssh.
> Symptoms were very mysterious and I clobbered
> my source code repository before resolving it.
>
> Symptoms:
> UUID mismatch between repository and working copy.  Only occurs when multiple svn+ssh
> repositories are used.
>
> Problem occurs when running within X
> windows, but not when using a primitive
> Linux console (i.e. ctl-alt-F5).
>
> The last tunnel that is created is used,
> instead of the one referenced by
> "-t -i id_rsa...".  Tunnel per-user state survives sshd restarts and Linux reboot.
>
> /var/log/auth.log has revealing message.
>>From memory, something to the effect of...
> gnome-keyring-daemon, unrecognized
> ssh scheme, (command="svnserve)
> and invalid key, (-t --root /home/foo/...)
>
> Root Cause:
> Recent Ubuntu versions started using
> gnome-keyring-daemon, which effectively
> overrides the openssh ssh-agent.
> Gnome version is immature (lacks important
> functionality and is generally broken).
>
> Resolution:
> One of...
> 1) only access svn+ssh repository from
> primitive Linux console (ctl-alt-F5).
>
> 2) Use exactly the same command="svnserve ..." for all tunnels (using different
> "--root path" is what clobbered me).
>
> 3) after starting x-windows (gnome or KDE),
> explicitly kill the gnome-keyring-daemon
> process.
>
> Actions:
> Several bug reports posted to Ubuntu site.
>
> I hope this saves some grief by others.

Thanks.  Are there specific launchpad bugs you can point us at?

-Hyrum

Re: svn+ssh Ubuntu 8.10 gnome-keyring regression

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.