Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Aditya Muralidharan <Ad...@nisc.coop> on 2010/09/08 16:40:17 UTC

Pig 0.8.0 and Hadoop 0.21.0

Hi,

Thanks for your great work on pig. I've been trying to use the code from
pig 0.7.0, and the pig 0.8.0 branch to submit jobs to a hadoop 0.21.0
cluster. Submissions don't seem to work due to API incompatibilities. I
found issue 961 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-961) that is
supposed to have this resolved. Fixing the compile problems against the
hadoop 0.21.0 APIs didn't seem to resolve things either.

1)      Am I missing something that would get this working?

2)      Do you have plans to make submissions to hadoop 0.21.0 work for
pig 0.8.0?

3)      If not, when does your team expect to have support for hadoop
0.21.0?

Aditya

Re: Pig 0.8.0 and Hadoop 0.21.0

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Sep 8, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Aditya Muralidharan wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Thanks for your great work on pig. I've been trying to use the code
> from
> pig 0.7.0, and the pig 0.8.0 branch to submit jobs to a hadoop 0.21.0
> cluster. Submissions don't seem to work due to API
> incompatibilities. I
> found issue 961 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-961) that
> is
> supposed to have this resolved. Fixing the compile problems against
> the
> hadoop 0.21.0 APIs didn't seem to resolve things either.
>

> 1)      Am I missing something that would get this working?

I don't know.  AFAIK you're the only one who has worked on getting Pig
to work with 0.21.

> 2)      Do you have plans to make submissions to hadoop 0.21.0 work
> for
> pig 0.8.0?

No.  Pig 0.8 has already been branched and will be released after
further testing (sometime next month we hope).  It's too late to add
major features like compatibility with a new release of Hadoop that
changes APIs (yet again).

> 3)      If not, when does your team expect to have support for hadoop
> 0.21.0?

No one has stepped up yet to say they will take on adding support for
0.21.  When someone commits to working on it we can work with them to
schedule it into a release.

As a side note, the Hadoop team has declared 0.21.0 as not production
ready, so it's not clear to me how many Pig users will want it until
there is a production ready version.

Alan.