Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by "Boucher, Jimmy" <Ji...@liberty.co.za> on 2017/08/01 04:46:01 UTC

RE: svd( ) implementation

unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From: Imran Younus [mailto:imranyounus@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2017 2:22 PM
To: dev@systemml.apache.org<ma...@systemml.apache.org>
Subject: Re: svd( ) implementation

Just to clarify one thing. For QR based, method, you can assume that R matrix is small enough to fit on driver memory and them perform SVD on the driver. That means your actual matrix has to tall-skinny matrix.

imran

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Imran Younus <im...@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> Janardhan,
>
> The papers you're referring may not be relevant. The first paper, as
> far as I can tell, is about updating an existing svd decomposition as
> new data comes in. The 3rd paper in this list is the one I used, but
> that method is not good.
>
> There is also a method that uses QR decomposition and then calculates
> SVD from R matrix. Please have a look at equation 1.3 in this paper:
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.127.115&rank=1<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.127.115&rank=1>
>
> I think this is worth trying out. The distributed QR is already
> implemented in SystemlML, so it may quick to try out.
>
> imran
>

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Janardhan Pulivarthi <
> janardhan.pulivarthi@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nakul & all the committers,
>>
>> Till now I am half way through the literature. But, for now a couple
>> of things to mention, in SVD there are three stages
>> 1. Bidiagonal reduction step
>> 2. Computation of the singular values
>> 3. Computation of the singular vectors
>>
>> of these three, The* Bidiagonal reduction* step is very expensive, so
>> is our focus on this( when considering GPU, at times where handling
>> with CPU is infeasible).
>>
>> About literature:
>>
>> - I took some time to go through " A Stable and Fast Algorithm for
>> Updating the Singular Value Decomposition" by "Gu & Stanley", to
>> understand
>> the numerical stability and round-off errors when we are
>> partitioning the
>> matrix in this distributed algorithm. The author has assured that each
>> component computed will be of high absolute accuracy. And also, the
>> properties that the resultant matrix support do not have any
>> conflicts with
>> parent matrix. [pdf
>> <http://www.cs.yale.edu/publications/techreports/tr966.pdf<http://www.cs.yale.edu/publications/techreports/tr966.pdf>>]
>>

>> - "High performance bidiagonal reduction using the tile algorithms on
>> homogeneous multicore clusters ", by "Ltaief et. al", this paper has
>> focused on the first stage mainly and has discussed a good about tile
>> algorithms and their runtime implementations.(although off-topic,
>> I read
>> this just to understand.) [pdf
>> <http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lawnspdf/lawn247.pdf<http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lawnspdf/lawn247.pdf>>]
>>

>> - "A distributed and incremental svd algorithm for agglomerative data
>> analysis on large networks", by "Iwen & Ong", *Please go through* the
>> (a). TABLE 1, TABLE 2 . (b). APPENDIX A. RAW DATA FROM NUMERICAL
>> EXPERIMENTS. [pdf <https://arxiv.org/pdf/1601.07010.pdf<https://arxiv.org/pdf/1601.07010.pdf>>]
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Janardhan
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Nakul Jindal <na...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Janardhan,

> [...]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Not Financial Advice
Liberty Group Ltd is an Authorised Financial services Provider in terms of the FAIS Act (Licence no. 2409), and a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Holdings Limited.
The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is not to be construed as advice in terms of the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services
Act of 2002 ('FAIS') as the writer is neither an appointed representative of the Liberty Group Limited, nor a licensed financial services provider as contemplated in FAIS.
Please consult your financial adviser should you require advice of a financial nature and/or intermediary services.

Confidentiality
The e-mail and attachments are confidential and intended only for selected recipients. If you have received it in error, you may not in any way disclose or rely on the contents.
You may not keep, copy or distribute the e-mail. Should you receive it, immediately notify the sender of the error and delete the e-mail. Also note that this form of communication
is not secure, it can be intercepted, and may not necessarily be free of errors and viruses in spite of reasonable efforts to secure this medium. Any views and opinions expressed
herein may not necessarily be those of the Liberty group of companies.  The aforementioned does not accept any liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this communication
and/or from accessing any attachment.