Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/20 23:39:23 UTC

Proposal_SimpleCommentRules

Long comments with lots of links are almost always spam, so in 3.2 I'd
like to add a couple of properties to the Weblog object in 3.2 so that
a blogger can set limits for the size and number of links allowed in
each comment.  And so a blogger can specify what happens when a
comment exceeds those limits (e.g. mark it as spam, delete it, etc.)

Feedback requested:
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_SimpleCommentRules

- Dave

Re: Proposal_SimpleCommentRules

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
After some more thought, I'd like to withdrawal that proposal and
replace it with one to revamp the comment authenticator architecture.

- Dave

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Dave wrote:
> On 11/21/06, Allen Gilliland <Al...@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> A couple thoughts ...
>>
>> 1. Is this really something that needs to be controllable at the
>> individual weblog level?  or is this something that should be set once
>> by the site administrator and applied to all weblogs?  In my mind this
>> is something that most bloggers don't want to think about or deal with,
>> so they'd prefer that someone sets a reasonable default and be done with
>> it.  I wouldn't imagine most bloggers wanting to change their
>> linksPerComment value from the default of 25 down to say 15.
>>
>> I think a far more simplified approach would be to just allow these
>> settings at the site-wide level so that individual bloggers don't have
>> to deal with it.
>

> Good feedback. Site-wide works for me.
>

> 2. On a separate note, this proposal also brings to mind a generalized
>> concern that the website table may be growing too big.  there are
>> already a lot of properties in that table and undoubtedly it will
>> continue to grow, so should we think of a possible alternative way of
>> expanding on weblog properties?  In particular, in expanding on
>> properties like the ones suggested in this proposal which are
>> non-associative and non-constraining (meaning they wouldn't be used in
>> the where clause of a select for example).  I was thinking that
>> something like the roller_properties table would work nicely, so it
>> would work like a hashtable and either the key would be websiteid:name
>> or it would be a 3 column table including name, value, websiteid.
>>
>> In either case the nice thing about this is that it allows us to easily
>> add new properties without continually having to alter the schema of the
>> website table.  It would also keep the website table smaller and focused
>> on managing the key data about a weblog and it's foreign key
>> associations, instead of the various properties which are often only
>> used in one or two specific places in the app.
>>
>> If we do create this weblog_properties table then we can still use use
>> the properties through the WebsiteData object, the difference would just
>> be that calling setProperty() would modify the properties hashtable and
>> calling getProperty() would get it from the hashtable instead of being a
>> typical attribute.  In some cases this may actually make things faster
>> because a query for a weblog from the db won't have to return so much
>> data and instead that data can be fetched lazily when needed.
>>
>> Anyways, something to think about.
>

> Yes, I've always wanted to that. I don't think I have time for it in
> 3.2time-frame tho.

If you do, maybe we should remove the entry_attribute table and turn it
into a global attribute table that could be used for site, weblog,
users, entries and comments. I'd be happy to help with the table design.
Again, this would only be used for *extra* properties.

-Elias

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
A couple thoughts ...

[...]