Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "A. Alonso Domínguez" <al...@social-labs.com> on 2007/09/13 11:29:03 UTC

Tomcat 6.0, JPA and Resource Injection

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a web application which uses Java Persistence with
Tomcat 6.0. I had googled and searched a lot of mailing lists but I
didn't found a response for my doubts.

My application uses JSF 1.2 from Sun's RI, some of the managed-beans
defined at that application have a reference to a EntityManager using
the PersistenceContext annotation. This application has been tested
using Glassfish and it works perfectly.
Testing the same application (with all necessary jar files) with Tomcat
throws an exception: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: The name
java:comp is not associated to this context. This is how my config files
look like:

context.xml:
<Context path="/benedetti-gestion" reloadable="true">

    <Resource name="jdbc/benedetti" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
        maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
        username="benedetti" password="nsh67eTds"
driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
        url="jdbc:postgresql://193.168.3.2:5432/benedetti"
    />

</Context>

persistence.xml:

http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd"
    version="1.0">

    <persistence-unit name="benedetti" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
        <provider>
            oracle.toplink.essentials.PersistenceProvider
        </provider>
        <non-jta-data-source>jdbc/benedetti</non-jta-data-source>
        <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.Cliente</class>
        <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.Expediente</class>
        <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.Factura</class>
        <class>benedetti.gestion.entity.LineaFactura</class>
    </persistence-unit>

</persistence>

web.xml:
<resource-ref>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/benedetti</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

    <persistence-context-ref>

<persistence-context-ref-name>jpa/benedetti</persistence-context-ref-name>
        <persistence-unit-name>benedetti</persistence-unit-name>
    </persistence-context-ref>

I'm configuring the injection of the entity manager as following:

@PersistenceContext(unitName = "benedetti",
            name = "java:comp/jpa/benedetti")
    private EntityManager em;

About JNDI names, I tried names

Almost all I found in the web about this issue is about Tomcat 5.5.
There is said in many places that Tomcat 5.5 should be treated as a JSE
environment so no dependency injection of "EntityManager" nor
"EntityManagerFactory" is possible. But, what about Tomcat 6 ?

I did take a look to the DefaultAnnotationProcessor class at
"org.apache.catalina.util" and seems to me that class performs
dependency injection based on the kind of annotation found.

My question is: Can I use entity manager injection with Tomcat 6 or do I
need to perform a bootstrap using the Persistence class like in Tomcat 5.5 ?

Regards,
Alonso

RE: Tomcat 6.0, JPA and Resource Injection

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: "A. Alonso Domínguez" [mailto:alonso.dominguez@social-labs.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6.0, JPA and Resource Injection
>
> It seems that Tomcat 6 ignores the "<persistence-context-ref>"
> element from web.xml, is this correct?

I can't find any documentation for such an element in either the 2.4 or the 2.5 servlet specs, which is what Tomcat implements.  If you're looking for EJB 3.0 extensions beyond that, I suspect you'll have to move up to an full EE container, such as JBoss.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 6.0, JPA and Resource Injection

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat 6.0, JPA and Resource Injection

Posted by "A. Alonso Domínguez" <al...@social-labs.com>.
Hi Christopher,

I have tried "java:comp/env/...", "java:/comp/env/...", "java:jpa/..."
and "jpa/..." as values for the "name" attribute of PersistenceContext
annotation. None of that paths worked for me. It seems that Tomcat 6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.