Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by CJ Kucera <ck...@hbs.net> on 2002/01/08 18:42:23 UTC

Problems compiling Apache 1.3.22

Hello . . .

I'm having difficulty compiling Apache.  I'm using Debian Woody from not
too long ago, kernel 2.4.17, although that really shouldn't matter.
It's actually happening during the "configure" step:

 > pez@thag:~/Programs/Utils/apache_1.3.22$ ./configure \
 >                   --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max \
 >                   --prefix=/usr/local/encap/apache-1.3.22
 > Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.22
 >  + using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
 > Creating Makefile
 > sed: -e expression #44, char 50: Unknown option to 's'
 > Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 >  + enabling mod_so for DSO support

As a result, the root "Makefile" is left as an empty file.  I've tried
a number of different flags, including none at all (default
configuration settings), and I get the same problem.  The version of
sed I'm using is "GNU sed version 3.02".  Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-CJ

Re: Problems compiling Apache 1.3.22

Posted by CJ Kucera <ck...@hbs.net>.
Owen Boyle wrote:

> CJ Kucera wrote:
> > configuration settings), and I get the same problem.  The version of
> > sed I'm using is "GNU sed version 3.02".  Could that be the problem?
> >

> I can't offer a solution but it seems clearly to be problem with sed
> (which is vital to building the makefiles). The version seems OK -
> perhaps you could test sed with some examples commands to see if it
> works?

Ah, figured it out.  Actually, it had nothing to do with my sed.  My
box gets its network config. via DHCP, and as it turns out, when the
DHCP software pulled the information for /etc/resolv.conf, it added a
"\000" at the end of the domain, so that resolv.conf looked like this:

 > search hbs.net\000
 > nameserver 10.0.0.3

(sans forwarding ">"s, of course)

In the configure script, the sed command that was puking starts out like
so:

 > sed <Makefile.tmpl >$mkf \
 > -e "s%@PLATFORM@%$PLATFORM%g" \
 > -e "s%@PERL@%$PERL%g" \

And eventually gets to these two lines:

 > -e "s%@conf_serveradmin@%$conf_serveradmin%g" \
 > -e "s%@conf_servername@%$conf_servername%g" \

Now the vars $conf_serveradmin and $conf_servername are populated
earlier in the script from another script, "src/helpers/buildinfo.sh",
which in turn looks at /etc/resolv.conf to grab the domain name.
Then when sed starts parsing the line, this is what it was seeing
for those two lines:

 > s%@conf_serveradmin@%pez@thag.hbs.net%d00%g
 > s%@conf_servername@%thag.hbs.net%d00%g

So the "\000" had turned into "%d00", and the extra percent sign was
what was throwing sed off.

*whew*

I'm assuming that it's actually a bug in the DHCP software (it really
shouldn't be putting that in), but as Debian's a somewhat popular
distro, this might bear repeating somewhere.

Regardless, thanks for your help!

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
CJ Kucera wrote:

> Hello . . .
>
> I'm having difficulty compiling Apache.  I'm using Debian Woody from not
> too long ago, kernel 2.4.17, although that really shouldn't matter.
> It's actually happening during the "configure" step:
>
>  > pez@thag:~/Programs/Utils/apache_1.3.22$ ./configure \
>  >                   --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max \
>  >                   --prefix=/usr/local/encap/apache-1.3.22
>  > Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.22
>  >  + using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
>  > Creating Makefile
>  > sed: -e expression #44, char 50: Unknown option to 's'
>  > Creating Configuration.apaci in src
>  >  + enabling mod_so for DSO support
>
> As a result, the root "Makefile" is left as an empty file.  I've tried
> a number of different flags, including none at all (default
> configuration settings), and I get the same problem.  The version of
> sed I'm using is "GNU sed version 3.02".  Could that be the problem?

I can't offer a solution but it seems clearly to be problem with sed
(which is vital to building the makefiles). The version seems OK -
perhaps you could test sed with some examples commands to see if it
works?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.