Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu> on 2016/10/10 18:05:31 UTC

Personal compute/storage preferences for campus portals

Hello All,

I don't think I've written to this list yet, so let me introduce myself. My name is Marcus Christie and I work in the Science Gateways Group at IU with Suresh and other Airavata developers.  I'm looking forward to contributing to Airavata.

I'm currently working on creating a UI in PGA for a portal user to add their own compute and/or storage resource allocations (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-2117?). I recently met with Suresh and Eroma to discuss some UI concerns with how this will impact existing users of PGA that are today using the gateways allocation.  The problem is it could be confusing for users who don't have their own compute/storage allocations to see the new options in PGA for adding compute/storage allocations.  Also there are some additional UI concerns if a user has both the option to use a gateway allocation on a compute resource and also their own personal allocation (for example, when creating an experiment, does the user have two options for the compute resource, one with their own allocation and one with the gateway allocation?)

What we decided to do, at least for now, is to add a new role, similar to the gateway user role ("gateway-user"), that if a user has this new role then they can add their own compute/storage resource allocations. Also, if they have this new role they can only submit jobs to compute resource for which they have registered their own resource allocation.

I'm not quite sure what to call the new role. In the meeting we referred to this new role as a "campus user" role, since that is the use case we are targeting. That doesn't seem generic enough of a name, is there a better name to give to this role? I'm thinking about adding to pga_config.php:

  'personal-allocation-user-role-name' => 'campus-user'

I'm open to suggestions on the name of the role.

Thanks,

Marcus

?

Re: Personal compute/storage preferences for campus portals

Posted by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu>.
Suresh,

​I like the distinction between individual and community accounts.  I think scenario #4 is the scenario that we discussed on Monday and said we wouldn't support that right away.

So the way this might look in pga_config.php would be

  'community-account-role-name' => 'gateway-user',  (this replaces 'user-role-name')

  'individual-account-role-name' => 'campus-user'

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by "Miller, Mark" <mm...@sdsc.edu>.