Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com> on 2023/04/26 20:31:20 UTC

Release frequency and active versions

Hi,

this is to continue the slightly offtopic discussion that emerged on
https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/2785

 > > > You can still keep up the latest version in any release series
that you consider "currently active". Accumulo has the latest 1.10.x and
2.1.x right now. Hadoop has the latest 3.3.x, 3.2.x, and 2.10.x.
ZooKeeper has 3.5.x, 3.6.x, 3.7.x, and 3.8.x (they might have a few
extra that they need to remove, as per that INFRA policy, though). The
Thrift PMC could make a similar decision to consider certain versions as
"currently active", even if they are only active for critical fixes.

 > > But that's what we do. The most recent one.

 > Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I was trying to say is that you
could have more than one release series considered "currently active"
and leave up the most recent of each series. That would still be
compatible with INFRA release distribution policy.

I understood that. But that's the current policy anyways: We only have
one active version. Of course PMC can change it, but then PMC should
also come up with more people to actually do these releases. Because I
won't.

Have fun,

JensG

Re: Release frequency and active versions

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
 > put it up on the website in the developer section

We have this, maybe not overly perfect:

https://thrift.apache.org/docs/committers/ReleaseManagement.html

A lot of things have been effectively moved out and linked only during
the last CMS switch. We in fact had the contents pulled in from SVN/Git
in earlier versions, but that doesn't work so well with the current
system, at least that's what I understood.

JensG

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Definitely off topic there (sorry!). Thanks for changing the venue for this
discussion.

I have never looked up who is on the Thrift PMC, so I don't even know who
is part of that and who isn't. But I wonder if there might be an issue of
not a large enough PMC if there isn't enough people on it willing to help
releases through. Regular committers can prepare/stage release candidates
but can't vote on releases, so there isn't really much incentive to
initiate them, and the may not feel empowered to help with releases.
Releases are primarily a PMC responsibility. So if more releases are
desired, there might be a need for more PMC members, or for the current PMC
to be more explicit about how non-PMC folks can participate in the release
workflow (other than testing and providing non-binding votes). Just
something to consider.

For what it's worth, you don't actually need to release more frequently to
declare additional versions as current or active. You could still make that
rare, and only do it for very critical issues. There still might be value
in declaring some specific earlier releases as stable and current so people
who have specific requirements (like a specific older GCC version or older
Java version) know which versions are appropriate to use. Sometimes just